Wednesday, September 01, 2021

The Way We Were Wednesday - United Nations

My father took this photo sometime in the early 1960's of the United Nations Buildings in New York.  About 60 years ago.  There is a poorly lit shot of the interior in the archive.  

I had never seen the UN complex.  So we took the cross town subway, walked another three long blocks, one morning last week.  It is a world landmark. There are a lot of grand buildings around it today, but this one has made a difference in the world.  If only it had prevented wars.  



 

12 comments:

  1. Yes, if only. I haven’t been inside in ages. So glad you visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weird - and sad - thing is that in most cases, we'll never know whether a war was prevented; we only know for certain when one isn't prevented.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9/01/2021

    It was good to see from the open top of a bus. I was impressed by all the flags, the flags no doubt somewhat different to those in your father's photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few flags are no longer there, a few new ones over the decades.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen it in person, even after all our visits to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about three long blocks east of Grand Central Station, kinda neat,

      Delete
  4. Maybe some day the world will get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taken the tour before and found it fascinating. The last time I was there I just visited the buildings on my own but still found interesting things to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buildings were closed, a reason to go back. It was fun to replicate dad's photo from 60 years ago.

      Delete