Sunday, September 05, 2021

The Sunday Five: Who Are We?


 Most of us are descended from immigrants.  Our ancestors may have moved across the face of the globe recently, or centuries ago. Few of us are descended from natives of the place we are a native of. Some of my regular readers are immigrants themselves, continuing the history of humankind. A couple of weeks ago Andrew, the High Riser in Australia wrote about his connect to place and ancestors, inspiring this weeks Sunday five. 

1: When in your family history was the most recent immigrant? 

2: How far back can you trace your family in the country that you live in? 

3: Have you had a DNA profile of ancestry done? If so any surprises? 

4: Is there a place that you have never lived that just "feels like home?" 

5: Do you have any ancestors that you really don't know where they came from? 

My answers: 

1: When in your family history was the most recent immigrant? My father's mother was born near London. 

2: How far back can you trace your family in the country that you live in? A couple of Mayflower connections, so about 1620.  I read recently that there are an estimated 35,000,000 Mayflower descendants.  I got to talking with a guy while walking in the swamp this spring, we share a Mayflower ancestor.  He is a cousin 400 years removed.  

3: Have you had a DNA profile of ancestry done? If so any surprises? Yes, my sister gifted me a DNA test.  French, I have Norman French ancestors.   

4: Is there a place that you have never lived that just "feels like home?" I have to say London.  It just feels right, if I remember to look left when I cross the street. 

5: Do you have any ancestors that you really don't know where they came from? My mother's - mother's family.  I found out a couple of years that her father's family was German - though they never talked about it. A member of the family provided me with a family tree, including an angleicantion of the family name in immigration - it sounds Irish, but it was originally German. My maternal grandmother would answer the question where is the family from with Ohio, and before that Pennsylvania.  According to the DNA profile we are not native American. I only have one contact with my mother's- mother's family I should ask her if she knows anymore.  

Please share your answers in the comments.  

20 comments:

  1. 1: When in your family history was the most recent immigrant? Me... in Spain.

    2: How far back can you trace your family in the country that you live in? 2011

    3: Have you had a DNA profile of ancestry done? If so any surprises? Yes. Something like 47 percent from Italy in 10 most recent generations.

    4: Is there a place that you have never lived that just "feels like home?" No.

    5: Do you have any ancestors that you really don't know where they came from? The few I know of are well documented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I wrote this one

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9/05/2021

    1. About 1850 I think, from Switzerland.
    2. Some lines to the mid 1800s.
    3. No DNA done. I don't want that information and nor do I want any of my family to have DNA tests. My sister in law did and found a surprise half brother. An explanatory family conference followed.
    4. I suppose the closest would be England, but still, it is quite different to Australia.
    5. Not so far, but should I research more, I expect there would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the DNA test there were a couple of myths I wanted to rule in or out, and did.

      Delete
  3. 1. I believe it was my father's grandfather who came from Germany.
    2. My sister did a chart that went back to 1616.
    3. No I haven't done that yet.
    4. That would be London. Every time I return it feels like home.
    5. Not that I can thing of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When in your family history was the most recent immigrant? My maternal grandmother.


    How far back can you trace your family in the country that you live in? I think my father did his side back to the late 1700s.

    Have you had a DNA profile of ancestry done? If so any surprises? No.
    Is there a place that you have never lived that just "feels like home?" Yes...my current place of New Hope.

    Do you have any ancestors that you really don't know where they came from? To my knowledge...not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting where we came from

      Delete
  5. 1. I'm guessing the late 1800s. But in reality probably earlier than that.
    2. On paternal side, at least 1822, maybe earlier. No idea on mother's side.
    3. Yes. And yes. There was a biggie (no mentioning it as of yet), but one of the smaller things is we are not AS Germanic as we thought. As Ancestry refines thins, I'm not JUST European Jew.......we are getting Russian and Polish in with that German.
    4.No. Not of which I can think.
    5. With the changes in ancestry.com profile and locations, I'm going with yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surprises in DNA results, show that immigration has been going on forever

      Delete
  6. 1. Most recent immigrants -- my maternal grandparents emigrated from Switzerland to Canada in 1924.
    2. Trace how far back? -- my paternal side can be traced back to the late 1700s in Canada and early 1700s in the USA (then, "the 13 colonies")
    3. DNA Profile done? No. But a male relative on my father's side had one done and not surprisingly, it's pretty much solid Brit (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh)
    4. Foreign place that "feels like home"? No.
    5. Ancestors from unknown places? I don't know exactly where in Britain my various ancestors were from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother was about 1910, she actually moved here twice, with a year back in London in between the two.

      Delete
  7. 1. Probably the 1800s if you count only the Irish, French and German.
    2. Paternal great grandparents (French/Irish) and maternal great grandmother (German).
    3. DNA profile done? Yes. Surprises? You betcha! I've more German blood than anything else. That "Native American" blood turned out to be Mideastern. Less African than one would think and, if you go far enough back, Chinese!
    4. And I quote "There's no place like home." Hawaii comes close, though :)
    5. I didn't do the extra specifics in the DNA thing. It cost extra money and I'm really not all that interested. Specific slaves are too hard to find. I learned that from watching Finding Your Roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reflect the "mixing bowl" of education in the 1960's

      Delete
  8. My great grandmother was Irish ……nuff said xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. My father's grandfather circa 1880-1890's.
    2. Someone on my mother's side published a book about the Overmyers (her mother's maiden name) family history going back to the 18th century.
    3. My brother did a trace and we found we were more than just German/Scotch-Irish. We also have some Scandinavian in our background.
    4 & 5. No and no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A distant cousin sent me a book on my my mother's mother's family recently,

      Delete
  10. 1. some on my father's side came from Canada circa. 1900
    2. My family both sides arrived in MA in 1630/1620.
    3. no, no need to. My family has lots of geneaologists it is enough.
    4. Charlevoix MI
    5. Mine are carefully researched and accounted for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claiming that could make you person of the year in Charlevoix

      Delete