Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Travel Tuesday - Stop and Smell The Roses Along The Way


I remember taking this photo. I was in south Florida in March of 2018 for a board meeting, I had a couple of hours to drive back to the airport, I drove north along the beach, I found a spot to park and thought I would take a few shots of the water.  As I was making my way from the parking area to the beach, I passed this most amazing foliage.  It was not what I was there to see, it was not the photo I was thinking of taking, but it was too wonderful to pass by and not capture a few images.  

When we travel it is easy to have an agenda of things to see, things to photograph, meals to eat, things we need to do.  It is important in our planning to allow ourselves to just drift, to stop for the unexpected, to stop and smell the roses along the way.  

Someday I am going to drive across the USA, with no plan, no agenda, no time plan.  Just wandering, taking where the wind carries me, seeing what is to be seen, photographing the wonders great and small along the way.  I better do that while I still have tommorows and not just yesterdays.  
 

14 comments:

  1. And when you do that, I bet it will be one of your most memorable trips too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is memorable in good ways

      Delete
  2. Although there are so many places in the States I would love to see, I never wanted to do a cross-country drive. There are too many places I would NOT love to see. I suppose I could just keep driving through those. It’s a beautiful country.

    And I’ve now got Mac Davis singing in my head. “You're gonna find your way to heaven is a rough and rocky road if you don't stop and smell the roses along the way.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of no-where out there in fly over country

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/28/2021

    Can you still drive Route 66? On package and conducted tours it can be hard to stop and smell the roses, but if you can, it could be very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have read something like 75% of Route 66 is still there, parts of it were rebuilt into limited access highways. With the exception of cruises, I am not a fan of package and conducted tours. They spend too much time in places I don't want to, and not enough in the random stops I do.

      Delete
  4. That's a great photo! You've caught the dappled sunlight beautifully, which is a difficult thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March in Florida in the middle of the day

      Delete
  5. I always loved the foliage in Florida because it was quite different from most other places I've lived.
    On my Bucket List is the idea of driving across the country, stopping wherever you choose, seeing whatever you see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your idea sounds perfect. I travel by that rule. I love to just walk and explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More aimless travel in my future

      Delete
  7. It's getting to the point (in my imagination) where the country out there has devolved into a cross between Mad Max and The Hills Have Eyes. Stopping to smell the roses will get an aphid up your nose!
    Side note: I do love the Mac Davis song. He was one of my all time favorite singer-songwriters. I'm really not as cynical as I sound, I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some scary places out there, and not just the aphids

      Delete