Saturday, September 11, 2021

The Saturday Morning Post - 20 years


It is the 20th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center, Pentagon and another hijacked flight that crashed in Pennsylvania.  20 years is a long time.  It seems like yesterday, or seems like forever ago.  


I was part of a conference on grandparents as parents in Lexington Kentucky, 20 years ago.  I had been on the planning committee, I was introducing a couple of sessions, and presenting a program on elder abuse, when news broke on the World Trade Center attack in New York.  We did the first plenary session, then took an extended break.  We had a couple of speakers from CMS who had flown in from Atlanta, their office called them and asked them to head for the airport and come home.  They called Delta, and were re-scheduled for a 1:00 PM flight, we shuffled the agenda so they could speak before lunch, then they heard that all flights were grounded, they were in Lexington for several days. I spoke that afternoon, it was the strangest workshop session I have ever done.  

At the time, our political decisions in the middle east, were troubling.  Our response of going to war against an enemy we couldn't clearly identify, the enemy was not the government of the countries we waged war against, it was people who had connections to those countries.  At the time I feared what has happened, long tragic wars, that have not necessarily left the world a better place.  

The photo above is part of the 9/11 memorial at the World Trade Center site in New York.  It was the first time I had been there.   

 

8 comments:

  1. The Memorial is powerful. I finally saw it about 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Memorial is open, I understand there is also a museum. The time before when I was in that area, the memorial and museum were inside the wall, with a long - long line to get in. I don't like waiting in crowds.

      Delete
  2. As we remember the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon by a group of craven, demented terrorists who believed they were doing the will of God, let us also remember the attack on the Capitol by a group of craven, demented terrorists who believed they were doing the will of God on 1/6. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited NY in the spring of 2002 and I visited the site when it was still a pile of rubble. I have not been there since but I have plans to visit the memorial next month when I'm in NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your posts about NY

      Delete
  4. Hard to believe it's been 20 years already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like yesterday, seems like a lifetime ago

      Delete