Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The Way We Were Wednesday - Gratitude


 Back in 2015, way back, but not way-way back, I had a bad health year.  In May of that year I had some major spinal surgery, and a little over three months later flew to Germany for a couple of weeks.  

A few days before surgery the neurosurgeon spent 45 minutes explaining in detail what he recommended doing and why, and what the possible outcomes were.  He asked me what my "goal of care was" not the first time I had been asked and I had an answer.  I said, "90 days from now I want to go to Germany and fly on a Zeppelin."  An interesting answer.  The next afternoon he stopped by to check on me and said "you weren't kidding, I googled it, you can fly on a Zeppelin!" I knew that, I had booked the seats before I got to the point that I was falling down and couldn't get up.  

A month or so after returning I had a follow up visit, I added a special thank you to him and his staff, printed it out, and asked his staff to post it in the break room.  I am still grateful to all of the people that made this and so much more possible.   

19 comments:

  1. A heartwarming post! I'd love to a whole Zeppelin post! I bet you got some excellent pictures up there. It's very rare to see zeppelins /blimps these days in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do one, there is a video

      Delete
  2. Yours is a great story! And I assume you’ve got photos of your view from the zeppelin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shadow of the zeppelin on the ground is amazing

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/29/2021

    That's a nice story with a good outcome and I assume you did fly on the Zeppelin and the photo wasn't just in front of one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It helps to envision life past the medical issues...gives you something to focus on and hope for when things get rough. I had hoped to fly once on a plane, helicopter, blimp, and hot air balloon. So far, I've only flown on planes. Maybe some day.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hot air balloon is still on my list

      Delete
  5. I love that you gave yourself a good solid reason to heal and get moving ... into the sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would ask about goals of care, and I was kind of what?

      Delete
  6. I bet no other patient of his ever gave him such an offbeat answer! Glad it all worked out and you're healthy and fit again now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still moving about under my own power

      Delete
  7. 😊😘❤️❤️❤️🥰

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great adventure. I'm so glad the surgery went well and you got to go on such a fun adventure. Good for you for thanking the medical team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without them, and good insurance, things would be very different.

      Delete
  9. You have such an awesome sense of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all do in our own way. You won't find me sleeping in the woods, or sitting around a campfire, But ANYTHING that flies and I am there.

      Delete
    2. I've got my feet firmly planted on the ground. I will deal with the ferocious chipmunks and ground squirrels, for the peace I find in camping.

      Delete