Thursday, January 07, 2016

Frozen in Time

10:20 PM December 14, 1799

Shortly after George Washington died, one of his doctors, and a personal friend of his cut the cable connecting the movement to this clock that was in George Washington's bedroom, effectively freezing the clock, freezing the time.  The clock is in the museum at the George Washington Masonic Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia.  
George Washington was a founding member and Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alexandria.  When the Memorial was built, the clock and other artifacts were transferred to the museum.  

When George died, he left directions for a family mausoleum to be built at Mt Vernon.  He was placed in a temporary tomb, while the mausoleum was built.  I will post a creepy artifact from that sometime soon. 

4 comments:

  1. believe it or don't, I never visited nor climbed the masonic memorial when I lived down there. thanks for these fun facts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I've never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting. I love history so I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hear more about his rye production.

    ReplyDelete