Monday, July 01, 2024

Moody Monday: Doing well


I am six months into retirement, and I am doing well.  We are spending less than projected, even with one kind of expensive trip completed.  I am writing as I wished to.  I am way ahead on my reading for the year, I finished reading the 40th book for the year last week.  I am staying active, walking pretty much everyday.  We have some adventures being planned.  The consulting agenda has been busier than I expected - but I know that is temporary.  I am meeting with my successor in a few days to talk about moving forward on a book project, that I volunteered to edit (I will write one chapter.)  I am having fun smearing paint onto canvas.  

I have noticed that I am mellowing.  I stop and rethink what I am saying, or writing, based on how it will make the other person feel. 

Idiots are still a danger in traffic, but I am much more patient to traffic delays.  An extra 5 or 10 minutes and I will be there just fine.  I always remind myself, I have more time than fenders (or as the brits call them "wings"). 

I was on a conference call with a bunch of older lawyers the other day. One of them said, "people keep asking me when am I going to retire, and I don't think I ever will, I think, what would I do then?"  And while I am happy with my decision, and seldom think, "what should I do today" his decision is right for him. 

People ask for financial advice on retirement.  When should they start pensions, or Social Security, how much can they spend or draw against investments and savings.  There are thousands of "experts" who think they know the right answer. That think that one size fits all. Often if you look at it, it is the answer that generates the greatest fees for the expert. But ultimately, the answer is it depends.  Each person's circumstances are different.  What do you need, what do you want to do in life, and what do you want to leave behind.  Don't take someone's else's answer, think about it and create your own answer.  (This paragraph is a spin off from an article I am writing for the ABA Senior Lawyers Division). 

There are dangers out there, I keep my distance, and don't feed the crazies. Kind of like the snake, leave him alone, and he will leave you alone. 

   

20 comments:

  1. I thought the Brits would call fenders the same as Australians do, mudguards. I have heard the term wings but I never knew what it meant.

    I knew you would have no regrets about retiring. There is something about bloggers that tell me they have much to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard mudguards used. It is really a simple language.

      Delete
  2. What is a "brit" or "Brit"? Speaking as someone who lives on the island of Britain, I have never used these terms and will never use them as long as I live.

    I agree with you that we must all find our own routes through retirement. There's no "one size fits all" prescription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing quite like and English, English teacher.

      Delete
    2. Always check your work David! Surely you meant to write: "There is nothing quite like an English English teacher"? No "and" and no comma either. Don't give up!

      Delete
    3. picky, picky, picky!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying retirement, but, as you say, you are keeping very busy doing things and I think that's the secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I ever found time to work.

      Delete
  4. I never understand where people think What will I do when I retire? There is plenty to do! Hell my work life cramps my style now as it is!!! LOL!!!!!! I tell people at work all the time jokingly, this job thing is just getting in the way of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we are not the idle rich.

      Delete
  5. Everyone needs to choose for themselves. There is no magic bullet. You've done very well. Your combination of adventures in travel and a bit of consulting seems just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the office had offered the option of cutting back to half time with a flexible schedule, I would have seriously considered it. When I asked, they laughed.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like retirement is treating you well and that's great! 40 books -- wow! And you've still got 6 months to go in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so fun. and I am reading a wider array of books than in the past.

      Delete
  7. It's nice not to be in such a rush anymore! That's one of the best things about retirement, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much agree, what I want to do, I have time to do.

      Delete
  8. the first sentence is the best thing I heard today. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you continue to hear good news.

      Delete