Thursday, July 25, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Riding


I have vague memories of struggling to balance myself on  a bike, learning to ride on a tiny 20-inch childs bike. I remember thinking that getting half of me on each side was the key, then a fast roll down the slight slope of the gravel driveway and I realized that momentum is what keeps a bike upright.  

The little bike was bought for my sister to learn to ride on. Dad took the training wheels off when she started to ride well, and said it was too much trouble to put them back on when I was learning. He said I would get it soon enough, after a few spills on the gravel driveway.  Ultimately he was right, but I still thought it was cruel that she had the training wheels and I didn't.  

A couple of years later, a new full size bike came into my life.  It was ordered for my birthday, and Schwinn workers in Chicago went on strike and it was delayed.  It arrived a couple of months late, and it is red, instead of the blue I wanted.  I use "is" I still have it. It is old enough to be classified as an antique.  Air up the tires and it is still a joy to ride.   

My parents bought similar bikes for three of the four kids, I am the only one that somehow held onto mine.  When my middle brother and sister stopped riding theirs, my mother sold them. I insisted that I needed to keep mine.  It is secured in the storage room off the parking garage.  

When we started spending winters in Florida, I bought a ten-speed. The first one at K-Mart, and a couple of years later a much better one at a discount store that was going out of business.  I rode those back and forth to school in Florida, stored them in the summers they were not well suited to gravel roads in Michigan.  

After I moved to Orlando there was a long dry spell when I didn't ride much.  Then in my late 20's I lost a ton of weight, and started riding again.  After a while I bought a better 10-speed at a garage sale. 

A year or so later I bought a dream bike.  A Trek 1200 Aluminum.  At the time it was Trek's top of the line racing bike.  (The first Trek Carbon Fiber frame came out a few months later.) The Trek was built for speed. I remember shopping for a super fast bike, several bike shops tried to push me into something heavier and slower.  The shop I bought it from was honest, he said, "it is fast and can get away from you easily, work on it, build your skills, respect it and it will take you places you never thought you could go." He also taped his card and a quarter under the seat and said, if you get in trouble with it, call me and I will send someone to rescue you.  I never needed to make the call. I only laid it down once, a street that I thought was a through street that came to an end faster than I could stop. 

That bike took me to the nation sprint triathlon championships in 1989.  I passed Mike Pigg on the bike course.  I finished in the top 1/3rd of the field.  I was glad to be there, passing one of the fastest in the sport was a bonus.   

It hangs on the terrace.  I should part with it, but I don't want to. My ramble down memory lane on this Thursday.  

20 comments:

  1. Put The Trek into your storage area, if it will fit. Some things we know we will never use again, we must hang on to. You've made me think about my bikes and I've only had two, both decades apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. We bought high-end bikes (can’t for the life of me remember the make) when we lived in Marina del Rey in 82/83. Rode up and down the beach bike path all the time. What joy. Then did Rock Creek Park in DC all the time. Then moved to rural Connecticut and riding on those narrow country roads was treacherous. Seven years there changed everything. I sure do miss those rides. My favorite uncle taught me to ride when I was perhaps 5. I remember he jogging behind me holding on to the seat and then I remember him not holding on anymore. SO exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach path would be great riding on a simple bike.

      Delete
    2. The path path at the time was a well-paved and great for some serious speed. I can’t remember how many miles but a lot. Sadly, that was an El Niño year and most of the bike path was washed away. I have no idea how much of it was replaced.

      Delete
  3. Years back my father took up bike riding and had a new 10-speed bike he rode; I would often accompany him but my little Schwinn was a basic bike and riding up and down the hills in our neighborhood was a workout.
    One Christmas my gift from "Santa" was a card with a poem written by my dad about riding the hills up and down, and huffing and puffing all along. The poem ended by suggesting I check the garage and their was a new 10-speed bike for me to ride.
    Great Christmas and Dad memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely walk down memory lane. My favorite bike was my first 10-speed. My dad worked for Sears and for my birthday he brought home a white Free Spirit 10-speed bike. Talk about freedom. I rode that bike everywhere. Somewhere in my "stuff" there's a Free Spirit patch. I need to find that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one of those in Florida, I don't know who bought it, my sister and brother rode it.

      Delete
  5. I never had training wheels on my bike. No one I knew did either. I learned how to ride it in about half an hour in the backyard. And once you know how, you know for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are classes here in the DC area that teach adults how to ride, without training wheels, and in about an hour.

      Delete
  6. Those are some great memories. I also remember learning to ride and once I got the hang of it how wonderful I felt. That bike represented freedom to me. Suddenly, I could go places all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Florida it was really freedom, we were in town.

      Delete
  7. I haven't rode a bike since the year I moved to Bucks County. I used to ride a bike along the canal. I too remember learning to ride a bike....do well till the training wheels came off. Then all hell broke loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then you discovered men.

      Delete
    2. LOL!!!! And they are far more fun to ride!!!!!!!! I went there!!!!

      Delete
  8. Don't be jealous but I have my BLUE Schwinn bike from 1960! I got it for Christmas when I was 10. I don't ride it now because the brakes are pedal brakes and they don't work very well so it is hard to stop (which is important!)! My folks didn't think I could handle fancy hand brakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebuilding coaster brakes, involves taking the rear axle and bearings out. I did that in the late 70's.

      Delete
  9. We have a few bikes too, hanging and should be gone or be used.

    ReplyDelete