Thursday, July 04, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Happy Independence Day


248 years ago the British Colonies in North America, declared their independence. There are debates on the actual date, when it was the document finished, when it was voted on, when it was signed, and when it was read to the public. July 4th is the date that is celebrated. 

There were reasons for deciding to go it alone.  Political decisions that were being made thousands of miles away, without consideration of the needs of the people impacted by them.  Political systems that empowered the rich, and relied in family connections.  Religious interference with the operation of government.  But mostly it was an economic decision.  It was a brave move, the people declaring independence were doing so from their national identity. 

Back in the mid 1970's, Donald, one of my grandmother's distant. English cousins came to visit one summer.  We visited "Greenfield Village" at the Henry Ford Museum complex in Detroit. Henry Ford collected many things, including the homes, offices and workshops of famous people.  We were in Daniel Webster's kitchen and the docent started talking about Webster's role in the American Revolution and the disagreements with England that led the way. Needless to say, the soliloquy was one side of a complex issue, Donald looked at me and said, "I better get out of here, before I say something I will regret" and out the back door we went.  He was a very educated man, an author, judge, and film producer (his brother wrote and produced porongraphic comedies.) I wish I had heard what he suppressed saying, it has taken me decades to understand that there are two sides. 


  

 

12 comments:

  1. I too wish I knew what cousin Donald would have said. I’ve often wondered what the US would be like had there never been an American Revolution. Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, want to know what he might have said.
    Interesting thoughts about who, and what, we might be without the Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is election day in England

      Delete
  3. Happy Independence Day! Oh yes, there were two sides during the American Revolution. My forebears who lived in New Jersey at the time were on the other side and fled to Upper Canada (now Ontario) as United Empire Loyalists. Thanks to them, I'm a Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother's side, the best we can tell, were still speaking German and Dutch, my father's line was in New England, no idea what side they were on. By the war of 1812 there was a Naval Officer in the line and the American side.

      Delete
  4. They have been having similar troubles in England so maybe we would have ended up with the same problems! Oh Well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy July 4th!! Enjoy that parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The community parade was short this year, but fun

      Delete
  6. It was a quiet stay indoors day here as outside it was 110+

    ReplyDelete