Friday, July 12, 2024

100 Tips to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #14 Don't Go Bargain Hunting


Travel need not be overly expensive, and we all have limits.  There have been travel ideas that I decide against, because I just didn't want to spend the money. I have also gone bargain hunting, and you get what you pay for.  

A couple of examples.  On a trip to Denver I went bargain hunting for a rental car.  I spent $50 less and we ended up in a Suzuki Swift (it should be called a Slow) with a three cylinder engine and about 50,000 mountain miles on it.  We drove to Breckenridge for lunch one day, going up the mountain passes on the expressway, I swear the mountain sheep on the side of the road were faster than we were.  

On our Alaska cruise in 2008, I took the cheapest inside cabin.  While others were watch glaciers roll by their cabin, we were in total darkness and isolation (I did sleep really well.)  On this last cruise - I booked a balcony cabin and we really enjoyed it.  

Spend a little more, book the nicer car, the hotel room that is a better fit, the stateroom with the view.  For a once in a lifetime experience, spend a little more. You get what you pay for.  

14 comments:

  1. I agree. When we did the OE is was through the roof...but it was once in a lifetime and I felt like a queen, well, you know what I mean. And I will never scrimp on hotels. I like my well-appointed hotel pleasantries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us always need a big fluffy bed.

      Delete
  2. I agree. Travel is about the quality of the experience. As with so many things in lifeEffort and considerations during the budgeting and planning phase,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stronger memories of the cheap car, than I do of the mountain sheep.

      Delete
  3. I pretty well agree. Our best holiday, the Danube River cruise cost a bomb but everything was included and I would say it was good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memories are long remembered

      Delete
  4. I once rented a smaller, cheaper car while on a trip and it was so small that when I reached for the knob to change the radio station I accidentally opened the passenger door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is small, I have started booking nicer cars. Rental cars have gotten expensive.

      Delete
  5. I agree with your advice. If you need to pinch pennies that much, stay home. You really do get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel less and travel better.

      Delete
  6. This is excellent advice. I've had similar experiences and now I'm very picky about where I stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One buggy hotel room was enough

      Delete
  7. Indeed so. Father used to say 'you don't go on vacation to save money' they were good at not buying cheap things like hotels and rentals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. It's not worth it to max your budget out and not enjoy the vacation. Better to save up and "do it right" so you actually enjoy it more. We have slowly upped our game, and would rather go on one or two great vacations a year than 3 or 4 mediocre ones.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete