Monday, July 29, 2024

Monday Mood: Life is About Choices


We make choices in life, as long as we understand the consequences of our choices, as adults it is a human right to do so.  

I am always puzzled when people make choices that make them uncomfortable, frazzled,  or unhappy, when there were clearly other choices they could have made. 

At home, my bedroom, my space, is cluttered and dusty.  Not just a little dusty, but mostly dusty.  There are cobwebs along the bottom of the window.  I know that.  I know my mother would have felt compelled to dust, and clean.  She dusted and cleaned even when it was not needed, because you dusted once a week and vacuumed the floors a couple of times a week, every week, no matter how much you hated doing so, or how unhappy it made you. No one was forcing her to do so, my father never criticised her housekeeping, if anything in later years when her housekeeping came to resemble mine, he commented that the house was much more relaxed now. I chose to live with the dust, and go to the pool instead. The pool makes me happy, and that is my choice.  

40 years ago I showed up at the office in a wrinkled dress shirt, and caught hell from my boss for being a mess.  I started ironing shirts, I hated it.  It was a chore that took an hour a week, when I would have much sooner gone for a bike ride. There was a drycleaners and laundry on the corner with a sign in the window that advertised "executive shirt service" for 89-cents. I tentatively took in a couple of shirts.  They came back looking better than anything I could ever do.  Yes it cost $5 or $6 a week, but it freed up and hour to ride into downtown Orlando and back once a week.  I still don't iron.  I chose to pay for someone else to do something that made me unhappy.  They say money can't buy happiness, but it can free up time to do things that make you happy. I still send my dress shirts out to be washed, starched and ironed.  (I wear one or two a month these days.) 

When I was growing up on the farm we mowed over 5-acres of grass between the two houses, the farm buildings and the pond.  My grandfather's health started to fail when I was about 14, and the duty fell to me. Even with a small tractor to do the job, I hated it.  It was noisy, it made me sneeze endlessly.  After I moved away the mowed area dropped to about one acre.  When I built my first house, I bought a lawn mower.  I still hated it, but it kind of had to be done. About 3 years later, I hired the hippy-dippy lawn service to cut it. He did the lawns for our offices, and I was living in the community with one of the offices in it.  He did a great job, when we was out of jail.  And it freed me to do things I enjoyed, like go for a nice run. 

A lot of chores on people's have to do list, are not really essential to living well. Or could easily be done by someone else. If they don't bring you happiness, why do you do them? Can the chore be ignored? Can you get someone to do them? No one ever lays on their deathbed saying, I wish I had dusted and ironed more. 

18 comments:

  1. One of my favorite bosses (now deceased) gave me a raise so that I could take my shirts in to the pros for laundering and pressing. My home ironing was not cutting it. And I was happy to do what I always considered (wrongly) was an indulgence. It freed up a lot of time and frustration! Good boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can afford it, why not. Ray used to iron my shirts but when he was working. I ironed my own shirts. Now without Ray to iron, I am not going to start ironing again. I do my best to ensure my shirts are hung on hangers as they dry, but the rest is up to the fabric.
    I hated mowing too and for several years we employed a lawn mower.
    Your pool looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear fewer and fewer shits that require ironing.

      Delete
  3. When we worked, we dropped off our shirts at the laundry on our way in and picked them up on our way home. That was nice. I’ve always found lawn service guys to be much more effective when not in jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One was mowing the wrong kind of grass, another one discovered these cute little mushrooms grew on fresh sod.

      Delete
    2. I know those guys! They used to deliver for IKEA.

      Delete
    3. Macy's furniture delivery here

      Delete
  4. I don't iron much any more, but I find that I enjoy getting a perfect crease.
    Yes, I am THAT guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being like that once.

      Delete
  5. I am smiling from ear to ear. My house tends to be dusty too and I haven't ironed anything is about 20 years. I probably wouldn't have admitted that if you hadn't posted this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you spend time doing things you enjoy. So many museums and gardens to see.

      Delete
  6. I clean when people might be coming over but, otherwise, I have gotten good at not noticing it the dust, etc. I don't iron anymore either as I dress very casually now. I'm also getting good at talking myself out of doing things that I really don't want to do!
    I smiled when I read your reply above about not ironing "shits" but I knew what you meant!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dress very casually most of the time.

      Delete
  7. The new yard guy is auditioning tomorrow.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is a "dress shirt" like a T-shirt with a dress sewn onto it? Not the kind of item I would wear myself but each to their own. As for ironing, like you I never had a talent for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English is such a complicated language.

      Delete