Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Looms


There was a house on Lake Orion in Michigan when I was a child that had massive windows overlooking the lake. The first summer that we idled by on my uncle's boat the lady of the house was playing a concert grand piano in the window, with the lights on inside. My mother remarked about her being an exhibitionist, turning the lights on to make that she was seen.  The second summer the piano was gone, replaced by a loom, with a warp at least 4 feet wide.  The lady of the house, had the spotlights on, as she worked the loom day in and day out.  

I was entranced. The rhythm of weaving, the art of the pattern, the colors and textures. I could have anchored there and watched for hours. It was performance art, and I was the glad to be in the audience. 

So began my lifelong infatuation. 

When we lived in Kentucky we went a couple of times to Churchill Weavers in Bera.  Churchill had a couple of dozen looms in one large work room, and talented local artists who spent hours creating textile wonders.  One year we bought woven throws for Christmas gifts, I still have one. I don't recall why, but Churchill closed, the space is now an event space.  A sad loss to the art.  

My great Aunt Edith, or little Aunt Edith as the kids called her, I don't' think she ever weighed over 100 pounds, had worked in a woolen mill in England in the 1920's.  She described the steam powered mechanical marvels roaring and churning out fabric by the boatload.  She said she was alway the last one in as the steam whistle blew for shift change, and the first one out at the end of the long shift.  As she put it, "walk to work, and run away from it."  She moved to the United States between WWI and WWII and was housekeeper for the Firestone family.  My father went to stay with her the summer my Big Aunt Edith was born.  Big Aunt Edith passed the 100 pound mark as a teenager and fought with her weight most of her life.  

Someday, I should learn to weave. 

23 comments:

  1. That's some interesting family history. Weaving is fascinating to watch and something I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a logic the patterns, that my brain can embrace.

      Delete
  2. I saw a great exhibit on the weaver Sheila Hicks at the Pompidou here. Fascinating and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my lawyer friends has become an accomplished weaver in retirement -- go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I move the painting, or the furniture on the terrace, I might be able to squeeze it in.

      Delete
  4. Watching someone weave is mesmerizing. My parents traveled in the Southwest frequently and bought some beautiful woven Navajo pieces. The Navajo are known for their weaving skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they do it all by hand. Those weavings are amazing

      Delete
  5. Learning to weave is on my bucket list of things to do in my retirement. I love all things to do with yarn. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember weaving potholders as a child and bought a potholder loom for my granddaughters when they were little. You could start small with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they still made those.

      Delete
  7. That is a skill I find mystifying. I just don't get how they create those wonderful patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working for the Firestone family must have been tiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It strikes me as being very meditative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could I develop the patience?

      Delete
    2. I think I could but then I'd need to build a Loom Room.

      Delete
  10. I have 3 friends I know of who have looms and weave. It is fascinating to see and watch.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have long been fascinated by The Fates, who weaved Life with everyone's threads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have read more ancient literature than I have.

      Delete