Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Travel Tuesday : Mt Vernon



The Lower Garden, the kitchen garden. 

A riding chair, George often toured the estate riding in one of these. 

Heritage sheep make the thier home on the estate. 

This is new this spring, I hope it is a sign that chickens are returning to the estate. 





 Mt. Vernon was home for George Washington, the first President of the United States.  He inherited the estate from his older brother.  It was home when he was President, and he retired here after his time as President.  He died in the house, a week after having dinner with the Fairfax family, here on the hill that I live on.  


16 comments:

  1. If that isn't a chicken house I don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a few years since they had chickens in the public areas

      Delete
  2. That chicken house is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very traditional construction, the fence around it is put together with hand made nails.

      Delete
  3. Where did Washington's 123 slaves live? The Custis estate owned a further 153.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The archeologists have been excavating near the "Mansion" for a few summers the identify locations, some where housed in the Orangerie, most where in cabins spread across the farms, there is a reproduction of one of the cabins at the lower farm in the public area.

      Delete
  4. Because I referred to Washington's slaves, I suspect that my first comment has been sent to the spam slammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go looking for it, I have to check everyday.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous home and grounds; what a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have half a dozen guest passes, if you are in the area, let me know.

      Delete
  6. What do they do now with the produce grown in the kitchen gardens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some is used in historic cooking demonstrations, some is used in the restaurant, and some is sent to a local food pantry.

      Delete
  7. Someplace I've never seen. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are in the area, I am a member, and I have guest passes.

      Delete