Saturday, March 16, 2024

Satruday Morning Post - Spring has Sprung




Spring 2024 is here. The early flowers are blooming, the bees are out foraging.  

The pink blooming shrub/tree is always early. There are several of them here on Mount Eagle, they have a delicate sweet scent.  The Yellow is Forsythia, always an early bloomer.  There was one near the house I grew up in - in Michigan it would bloom in April, or May.  The espaliered fruit is against a sunny wall out at Mt. Vernon. I asked the gardener if he thought the blooms stand a chance of maturing into fruit, and he said he thinks so.  There are many signs that we are past the hard freeze risk. Though my grandfather always said, the risk is there until the leaves on the oak trees are as big as a squirrel's ear.  

The bees are out at Mt. Vernon, there are half a dozen hives tucked in the trees off of the great meadow.  I walked around the back of it a week ago, I had never taken the long way around before.  Having been raised with bees in the backyard, I knew to keep my distance. I am surprised these appear to be 8 frame hives.  Dad scrapped out the last of the 8 frame stock back in the 1970's running all 10 or 12 frame.  Apparently 8 frame has come back in style.  

More sunshine each day, and the trees are starting to burst into leaf, it is a wonderful time of the year.  
 

27 comments:

  1. Hello Blossom. How nice to see you. Not that your winters are that bad, but it must be nice to see spring arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novelty of winter wears off in a hurry for me.

      Delete
  2. We have a huge oak tree and plenty of squirrels...so I'll let you know if the risk is past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - a wonderful time of year and this year you will be able to witness it properly - not stuck in an office or glued to a computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having a glorious sunny warm weekend and the yard is blooming quite nicely. We have a few days of chill coming up this week, but I think that's Winter's Last Hurrah!

    On to yardwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can watch the guys do yard work if I wanted to.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Those are early bloomers with a wonderful color.

      Delete
  6. Argh. I typed a long comment and didn’t hit PUBLISH! So, I’ll briefly say this is a beautiful time of year in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best times of the year

      Delete
  7. Spring is my favorite season, but I still metaphorically sneezed through this whole post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pear trees are dropping lots of pollen

      Delete
  8. My daffodils are blooming along with some lovely violets. I'll have to check my forsythia on the side of the house but I don't think it is blooming yet.
    Squirrels and robins are busy in the yard. It is a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking for violets

      Delete
  9. Beautiful spring blooms. That pink tree is especially striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors can be very intense

      Delete
  10. Spring truly is a magical time of renewal and growth. It's delightful to see the early flowers blooming and the bees buzzing about, busy with their important work. The sight of the pink blooming shrubs and the vibrant yellow of the Forsythia must be a joy to behold. It's fascinating to hear about the espaliered fruit against the sunny wall at Mt. Vernon and the possibility of it maturing into fruit. And how wonderful to come across the beehives at Mt. Vernon, a reminder of the vital role bees play in our ecosystem. Thank you for sharing these beautiful glimpses of springtime! 🌸🐝🌿
    www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of these beautiful blooms which are also happening in my neck of the woods bring on the spring allergies but I don't care. Bye, bye winter and hello, Zyrtec!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually quote this old Burma Shave bit of doggerel at this time of year: "Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, where last year's careless drivers is."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this springs careless drivers are out in force today.

      Delete
  13. It's so wonderful to see signs of spring everywhere!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FB just reminded me that it snowed here 10 years ago.

      Delete
  14. There is nothing so intoxicating than spring after a long gray winter.

    ReplyDelete