Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Finding my way in the world




I am sometimes asked how I ended up working in law and aging.  And it was a bit of a curious path. 

I worked in the homebuilding industry for 15 years before going to law school.  My thought was that I would practice real estate, construction defects, planning, zoning, and land use law.  In law school I was a property law geek, reading everything on the topic I could get my hands on. 

I could hardly get an interview with the firms that practiced in those areas of the law.  I was older and experienced, they seemed to be looking for young and teachable.  

The law school required 30 hours of volunteer service to graduate.  The summer between first and second year, I volunteered at the local legal aid office.  About my second day there, someone said answer the phone while I go look for a file.  The first phone call started with "you have got to help me they are trying to take away my lion."  The lion was her housepet. Code enforcement was demanding something more than a screen door, as kitty was now about 250 pounds.  

The office did a lot of family law, and domestic violence work.  I spent days searching for a clear answer to a vexing question.  "Is a waiver of parental rights in an adoption, valid, if the waiver is a condition of a plea bargain in a criminal case?"  At that time, there was no clear answer.  The criminal case, was a sexual assault on the child who was subject of the adoption - the man had raped his child.  The facts in many of the child custody cases were stomach turning.  More than once, my recommendation was neither of these two people should have anything to do with raising a child.   Not an answer that they liked.  

I determined that I never wanted to practice family law. 

There was an attorney in the office who only represented clients age 60 and older.  The issues were different.  A mix of simple estate planning, advance health care directives, powers of attorney, debt collection, Medicare, Medicaid, a little landlord tenant law. The clients were nicer, and the attorney took me under her wing, gave me interesting projects, and took me along to meet with clients, and go to court.  

I fell in love with the work.  

That volunteer time, led to a paid clerkship, that led to a job, that led to a job, that ended were I am today.   

Looking back, there were parts of the work I enjoyed, offset by drudgery and needless administrative battles.  Maybe this is the stages of grief after a major life change, but at the moment, I am not sure I liked what I did very much.  I am certainly not itching to return to it.  
 

25 comments:

  1. It is enlightening to be able to look back on a career with a fresh eye. I have a feeling, although you aren’t itching to return, you’ll look back proudly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really eager to return to work.

      Delete
  2. I expect many people benefited from your work efforts as you fought for 'What is right'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We helped a lot of people along the way.

      Delete
  3. It's funny how a law career can turn out. It's often not what we expect in law school, when we know nothing. The main thing is -- you did work that was helpful to people, made a good living, and now have a comfortable retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is time to enjoy the comforts of retirement.

      Delete
  4. I think you followed the path and did the things you were meant to do. I have always found people who have had varied careers to be the most interesting and you certainly prove my theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have had some fun, and made a few nickels along the way.

      Delete
  5. Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor in your retirement. You can do what you want now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are decompressing from a demanding job. Be proud of the good you did for people and now enjoy YOUR time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken longer to decompress than I expected.

      Delete
  7. You took an interesting path but one that is probably common to many people. We learn what is best for us as we go. Sometimes the path is straight and sometimes the path has lots of turns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOW you can go back into ladies shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. in all things finished there is bereavement (some) ambivalence (usually) mixed with doubt about it all (often) good for you for doing what you did and doing it so well. now onto other things yes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny how a working life can unfold. I am sure that most people don't have a plan. It just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spent 30+ years in radio and tv journalism and re-reading my personal journals from those years I find that I hated it most of the time. Strange how we can waste our lives.

    ReplyDelete