Saturday, March 30, 2024

Saturday Morning Post: No One Wants To Talk About It




A couple of years ago, I had an idea for an article on practicing law, when the judge is exhibiting signs of a decline in neurocognitive ability.  In other words what to do when the judge has Alzheimer's.  I have talked with a few attorney over the years who have had this experience and were calling looking for advice on how to deal with it.  I have known a couple of judges, who had colleagues on the bench with dementia, and struggled to find a way forward.   

I had sources this should be an easy one to write. Either to get one of the attorneys who has experienced this first hand to write about it, or to get them to tell me their stories on the record, and I could write the article.  When I started asking about writing an article, no one wanted to write it, no one wanted to talk to me about it.  

I never had this experience.  I had a judge (who died about 17 years ago) who didn't believe the rules of evidence applied in his courtroom, and a judge who took perverse pleasure is starting 10:00 AM motion hour, 15 or 20 minutes early and postponing ruling until next week, if both attorneys were not in the courtroom when the clerk called the case.  He used this to make his early tee time at the golf course on pretty spring days. You just learned to drag opposing counsel into that courtroom a few minutes early if it was a bright sunny day. But I never had a judge who seemed to lack cognitive ability (luckily.) 

I have been surprised by those who have lived through a judge who was staying on the bench beyond their best by date, and won't talk about it, but not really.  The last thing you want to do is have the judge dislike you before you file the first pleading or open your mouth in court.  

There are things that can be done. All states have a lawyer's assistance committee, and any lawyer or judge who appears to be impaired in their ability to practice can be reported anonymously.  

Judges and Court Clerks can manage the docket so that the impaired judge has little or no work to do. There is a case here in the Federal Circuit where this has been done, and the offended judge has sued. (She gets paid, but has virtually no work assigned to her.) 

Attorneys can avoid that Court, or file motions to transfer their case to another court.  

Dementia is not an easy subject to get people to talk about.  I asked a Doctor who does research on Alzheimer's if his patients admitted to him that something had changed long before they came to see him? His answer was the vast majority knew something was wrong and where terrified by the changes, leading to deep denial.  But it is a topic we need to talk about.  Ten percent of adults by age 70 experience a decline in cognitive ability.  By age 90 about one-third of adults experience a measurable decline in cognitive ability. 

Just because the judge rules against you, does not mean the judge is demented, or biased.  Half of the people in every case lose.  But if the judge is openly forgetful, confused, or disoriented there needs to be a review process.  We can't rely on persons living with dementia to self report, or voluntarily remove themselves from positions of risk.   

20 comments:

  1. Wouldn't his peers notice a decline, along with court staff? The could confidentially notify whatever body there is who oversees judge behaviour etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a slow process, and not always confidential as it should be.

      Delete
  2. It’s sad to realize that the people in control of the lives of others are not always in control of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rare but it happens. I consulted on a case of a lawyer with dementia who kept practicing (or trying to.)

      Delete
  3. It's not a topic I had ever thought about before but it is certainly concerning. Looking over to the world of politics there are many people who represent others way after their "best before" date has passed by. Most people retire before they are seventy but in politics far too many people carry on when it is clear they should have retired years before. That Mitch McConnell fellow was a prime example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitch and he who shall not be named.

      Delete
  4. I imagine it would be a hard thing to prove, if one were suspect, and a slow painful process at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the decline is such a spectrum of changes

      Delete
  5. I've often the verdict of a case has much to do with the judge's moods and even if he/she have had their lunch yet. A demented judge sounds like the same problem in Medicine viz. knowing a colleague has a alcohol/drug or mental illness something that make them not fit to work but who points this out? Not my problem is the approach most take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a client once who was a retired general surgeon, he said he would forget what procedure he was doing in the middle of doing it. He always had interns working with him, and he would say, "and doctor, what would you do next?"

      Delete
  6. I certainly encountered more than my fair share of judges who were absolute bastards on the bench, but never one who I suspected of dementia. In Canada, all judges must retire by age 75 so that takes care of a lot of issues, I think, but not all in this area. I agree it would be a tricky and difficult thing to raise and handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do a lot of trial work, and was lucky with the judges I practiced before, most were kind and did their best.

      Delete
  7. Your comment about people being aware of changes and being terrified of them really hit home. I went through some moments with my mom. For a while she was very good at hiding her forgetful moments. One day when she wanted to take her car in for a check up, she followed me to the dealership, and I saw how bad her driving was. Taking her car keys away was heartbreaking for everyone. She was losing an important part of her independence and it opened my siblings' and my eyes on the path she was going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One afternoon my grandfather went out put the car in the garage, he bumped the wall on one side, backed up bumped the wall on the other side, turned off the car, came in the kitchen dropped the keys on the counter and said, "if I can't get it in the garage anymore, I shouldn't drive it anymore, David would you please go put my car away."

      Delete
  8. I guess there might be many ways a judge could be incompetent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a subject I hadn't thought about. You are right, there does need to be a way to review judges. I have a friend who is going through this with his mother right now. However, she's not a judge. They finally got her to stop driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving is often the biggest battle, in our car dependent society.

      Delete
  10. Judges with Dementia would be a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete