Wednesday, March 13, 2024

My World of Wonders, aka The Wednesday W's, 12 on 12 edition

What am I up to this week? I have long admired Blobby's 12 on 12 posts, 12 photos from the 12th of the month, posted on the following day. The timing worked for my Wednesday W's post this month, so here we are. 

Wake up time, I have found the time change much easier, now that my daily routine is not tied to arbitrary start and finish times.  I still think daylight savings time is a stupid idea, and should be stopped.  


What is for breakfast? Buttered toast, and iced coffee. Checking for and responding to comments on my blog, followed by reading and commenting on my daily read list.  A browse through the Washington Post online. The ceramic box on the right, I bought in a small art gallery on Park Avenue in Winter Park, Florida when I was a student at Rollins College.  I have used it to hold postage stamps, since first class postage was about 25-cents. 
Where do I find refuge each day? My shower.  We live in a high rise building, water, including hot water is supplied by the building, meaning that the hot water supply is virtually endless.  If I want to take a 15 or 20 minute shower, I never run out of hot water.  


Where have I been this week? Into the city for lunch and a wander, Winkler Botanical Preserve, the gym, Mt. Vernon a couple of times. This is my Daily Selfie post, Tuesday morning with the top down headed out to Mt. Vernon. 

What astounded me this week? Someone drove this to this parking lot. As I was headed down the George Washington Parkway toward Mt. Vernon, there was debris in the road from a blown tire, then sections of the wheel, then more tire debris, and this was in the parking lot at Mt. Vernon with a flatbed there trying to figure out how to load it. Scrapes in the pavement confirmed that it had been driven there in that condition.  If you are thinking, "how is that possible" your mind is in the right place. 
What did I do that was good for me? An hour or more of walking each day. On the 12th is was Mt Vernon, the long way around and down to the lower farm and back up the hill with only one short stop. 

What have I been eating? Grilled chicken sandwiches, a veggie and meatball soup, meatloaf, cheeseburgers, and on the 12th, a nice greek salad for lunch. 

What am I looking forward to? The spring lambs, I understand 9 have been born at Mt Vernon and will be moved the public areas in a couple of weeks.  The photo above the expectant fathers waiting pen. 

What have I been watching? I spend probably an hour a day watching YouTube, Billy at The Pethericks, Dan at Escape to Rural France, and a bunch of others when they post, Finnegan Chamberlin posted on Tuesday of this week, he is young and talented, I found him through a link from Angus at Bob and Sophie one of my daily blog reads.

What am I doing to be creative? I am painting again, I find it surprisingly relaxing.  I am running out of wall space.  

 

What did I try this week? I have had this one for about 10 months, sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, waiting for something special.  Well everyday is a special day, and it was time to open a bottle of single malt.  When we were going to Iceland last spring, Doc Spo urged me to buy this if I could find it.  I found it at the airport on the way home.  A review will show up as a Foodie Friday in a couple of weeks. 



What have I been reading? This is the second book this week, back to the library in the next couple of days.


 

27 comments:

  1. That van??? Would it be easier to blow it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a somewhat delicate matter but the spring lambs? Very tasty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this is a historic demonstration farm, these will move likely live into old age, or until they decide to up an die for no reason other than being sheep.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're painting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun. I certainly can't draw like you can.

      Delete
  4. Frightening to imagine that van still traveling down the road! I’ve always [not] wanted to sample sheep dung smoked reserve. So glad you’re painting again. Maybe you’ll inspire me. I LOVE long showers but, given our low reservoirs, I’ve taken to cutting them down to only a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the Potomac Flows.

      Delete
  5. Amazing that someone DROVE that van!!!

    Congrats on the painting, which I view as another sort of meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am running out of wall space

      Delete
  6. Note that the van has a current state inspection sticker... 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no front plate, there is probably a bumper along the side of the road

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing all of this David. The idea of living in an apartment or house with a constant, reliable hot water supply that you do not have to service yourself is quite heavenly. By the way what do you sing in the shower? I am guessing "Nessun Dorma" but it might be the Michigan state song which I am sure you know well:
    A song to thee, fair State of mine,
    Michigan, my Michigan;
    But greater song than this is thine,
    Michigan, my Michigan;
    The whisper of the forest tree,
    The thunder of the inland sea;
    Unite in one grand symphony
    Of Michigan, my Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to sing in the shower, it scares the neighbors.

      Delete
  8. Retirement is heavenly, isn't it? When daylight savings time started this week, I had no worries about getting up losing an hour of sleep! Sounds like you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading "Caste" which is another non-fiction that is depressing me but very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just returned from the library with three more books.

      Delete
  10. That hot water situation sounds heavenly. We have hot water heaters in each unit and they do break every now and then. Mine went out about 6 months ago but it was replaced right away, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the slightly older buildings in the area include all utilities in the condo fee.

      Delete
  11. 12 on the 12th...what a fun idea. To combine it with your World of Wednesday Wonders makes it double fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more complicated to put together, I had been thinking about doing a day in the life post.

      Delete
  12. Looking closely at that car, other than the wheel the windshield seems to have a shatter mark, the hood isn't down in place, and the paint job is sketchy. Could be the owner just decided to abandon it or maybe it was stolen. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no indication it was a crime scene, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was stolen and abandoned. There were no police around, and they usually stay until the car has been towed.

      Delete
  13. I, too, look forward to daily long walks when my time is my own.

    Never save "the good stuff." Light that candle. Drink that wine. Eat that candy. You never know when it will be too late to enjoy it, so enjoy it while you can.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I am alive, it is a special day.

      Delete
  14. I could imagine a world with out a libraries.

    ReplyDelete