Saturday, March 02, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: On Writing


John wrote recently about the struggle to get started on a writing project.  This got me to thinking about the writing process.  I have read, studied and practiced trying to improve my writing.  One of the reasons I blog daily, is to force myself to write a dozen relatively coherent paragraphs each week.  

At times I struggle to get a few sentences together, and at other times the "words flow like water." Most of my posts are written in one sitting with a little editing before (or after) they post.  Some, like the two or three I have written in trying to write this post, I finish, then don't feel comfortable posting and are left in the draft box for later.  Some of them linger there for days, some for years.  

Often getting started is the hardest part.  Thinking of what to say. One thing that many sources recommend, is just getting started. Put whatever you think, on the screen or on paper. I almost always write on screen.  I will take notes on paper, but when I am writing text, it is almost always on a keyboard.  I just need to get started.  Then edit and clarify.  

At other times, the idea is there, and the words flow easily, needing little editing.  Often the image inspires me, or something I have read, or heard, or seen.  Even when the words don't come easily, I still need to write, to write what I am thinking, even if the text will end up in the draft folder, or destined for the delete key.  

Something I need to do is get better at telling stories.  My story telling was repressed over the past 25 years, by a combination of factors.  The work that I did, that dominated my life for the past 25 years, is rich in stories, but is covered by an ethical pledge of confidentiality. So the stories need to be drawn from what happened outside of my work.  To tell stories, I just need the courage to get started. 

11 comments:

  1. You write well and I can't even recall you making a typo, which even the best seem to do. It always makes me feel better about my own deficiencies. John Gray of Wales is a more than adequate writer, so it was surprising to read that he was struggling to start writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John is very talented, it was a project for University

      Delete
  2. I always jot down a first line or two just to have it on paper, and then go back later and see if it weill lead to something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often leads to unexpected places.

      Delete
  3. You began blogging in the same year that I did - 2005. We have both written a lot and come up with hundreds of ideas for blogposts. Generally speaking, the words have always come easily to me. Writing is kind of like my home territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something you have been doing for a lifetime

      Delete
  4. Yes, the dictates and discipline of legal writing's boundaries and style certainly does dampen the imagination needed for creative writing. I have found that out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to unleash our creative brains.

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy your writing but I agree, it is difficult to get started sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the time it takes for bloggers like yourself to put together their posts. I am not a blogger, just a commenter, but reading blogs has really enriched my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete