Monday, March 18, 2024

Moody Monday: Deep Memories

 


Happy 67th Birthday to my sister Karen. 

I was in kindergarten the first time my family visited the Grand Canyon, and we returned again a year later, both times we were there on March 18th. The date is enshrined in family history, it is my sister's birthday.  The memories are distant, and reinforced by slides and movie film of those early visits.  The photo above is from one of the Kodachrome slides my father took during those visits.  

A few things that stand out in my memory from those early visits. The first view of the canyon, you never forget it.  A gift shop operated by American Indians near the south rim.  I remember shopping there, buying picture postcards that I still have, a huge oversized pencil, and a beaded belt. I remember at the end of the road, a stone building with a shop in it, and a warm wood fire in a fireplace.  I remember cuddling onto a fur throw next to an Indian, I was very comfortable, my mother was a little freaked out.  And dinner in the dining room at the El Tovar hotel, a couple of tables over was a table of astronauts. They were in the Canyon studying geology, in preparation for landing on the moon.  I was too shy to go over and say Hi, my oldest brother was not shy. 

I have been back to the Canyon twice as an adult.  The first time in the middle 1980's. I had been in Scottsdale for a sales training program, rented a car and drove up and spent the night.  And about a dozen years ago, in the late spring, I had been at the Equal Justice Conference in Phoenix, and drove up and spent a couple of nights.  I have a couple of scanned slides from the 1980's trip. From the last visit I have a couple of prints, the digital files were all lost in a hard drive failure - I started running backup drives after that. 


18 comments:

  1. My first visit to the Grand Canyon wasn’t until I was in my late 20s. It lived up to its hype... and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming in from the South, I remember driving through a forest, and then there is this unimaginably huge opening.

      Delete
  2. I also went a few times as a kid during road trips from California to Texas to see family. Amazing spot; it would be nice to go again, so maybe I'll put that on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a conference / board meeting in Phoenix next February, it can be cold and snowy at that time of the year at the Canyon.

      Delete
  3. I've never been. Don't think I'll get there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rather spectacular hole in the ground.

      Delete
  4. Never been yet. Not sure why but have not yet had any desire to see the West with exception to California and Washinton States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several great reasons to visit Arizona, including the big hole

      Delete
  5. I was in 7th grade when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. I was traveling cross country with my uncle, aunt, and cousins, and we hiked to the bottom to Phantom Ranch. What an unforgettable experience. I remember my kids' reaction when they saw the Canyon for the first time. We got to the park, they were bored, complaining about being in the car for too long, finding a parking spot was difficult, and this segment of the trip was turning toward a small disaster, but that first view took their breath away and all was good after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to the bottom, probably won't unless I fly in.

      Delete
  6. I have been to The Grand Canyon. We flew there in a light plane from Las Vegas and landed at a ranch just north of the canyon. Surely one of the top natural wonders on this particular planet. As for losing digital pictures because of a hard drive failure - this should serve as a warning to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen the north rim.

      Delete
  7. I have never been there and probably never will. We did have many wonderful family vacations, tho, and we always drove so we had adventures on the way. Those old family photos and movies are such terrific memory triggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I was 7 years old, we did three road trips, Florida, and Arizona twice. Then we didn't leave home again until I was about 14.

      Delete
  8. Great memories! I've also eaten in that dining room but there weren't any astronauts when I was there. But, that gift shop is a must visit. I can almost smell that fireplace and hear its crackle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the Grand Canyon is one of the few places I know that doesn't disappoint in actually life.

    ReplyDelete