Saturday, March 09, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: A Piece of My Mind


I was going back through the draft post folder, and found one post, I put up, then decided I didn't want to deal with the comments on, and reverted to draft, and didn't delete.  It was about running into a controversial political operative in the grocery store, someone who should be in prison, rather than living in a million dollar apartment with a view of the Potomac River.  One of only two posts that I ever removed, the other one I put back up after due consideration. It was a piece of my mind that needed airing. 

There are also a couple of posts in the draft folder, that either need work, or will never see the light of day. One of them is on guns in the United States - a complicated subject for me, I think our gun laws are ridiculous, but I am also a gun owner. I have strong views on some complicated issues, but sometimes I don't want to cope with the comments, or the trolls.  I keep some of those pieces of my mind off the blog.  

The organizations that I worked for, had political influence, as staff we were trained to keep personal opinions personal. Maybe over time that will fade. 

I am a believer in second chances, in redemption, and recovery. There are few people who are not capable of changing, given the support  that they need. Many of the cast aside people in our society simply need help, support, counseling, training. There is a program in Appalachian Kentucky that trains adults in job and employment skills.  The first couple of months of the program are devoted to teaching people to show up on time, sober, clean, well rested and ready to work.  If you grew up in a household where no one did that, you might need help learning how to do so and understanding why it is important.  And yes, there are families were such basics in life are not practiced. Many homeless persons need more than a roof over their head, they need support to learn to live in a civilized society.  The care and support is often overlooked and many good efforts fail as a result.  At our core we all want a safe place to live.   

I don't believe in state sponsored murder, that can be war, overly responsive police, or the death penalty. It is hard for a government to preach "thou shall not kill" when the government kills people.  

I believe that you have to be a good neighbor to have good neighbors. Several governments need to learn this simple rule, you can't shoot over the fence at your neighbors and not expect them to shoot back. 

I have really complicated views on physician assisted suicide, and I will call it what it is, it is not physician aid in dying - that is palliative or hospice care.  I worked in an environment where we didn't take a position on that issue, no matter what position you take someone is going to be angry at it. It is a perilus cliff that needs strong fences to avoid a shift from choice, to genocide. 

Well this one went in all kinds of directions I didn't expect when I started writing.  Many pieces of a complicated mind.   



20 comments:

  1. I suspect you don't have to think too hard to guess what I think about private citizens owning guns. The gun culture has to be killed stone dead.

    Most if not all of our states here have assisted dying legislation. It was made unnecessarily difficult but determined people work their way through the process. But when you are dying, do you have the strength to deal with bureaucracy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, have very few gun related crimes, for a very obvious reason.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so many complicated issues. I have strong opinions on just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of your topics Im for and against for different reasons. Even the same topic I can be for it or against it depending on the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the most amazing college professors spent 45 minutes arguing for physician assisted suicide, took a 15 minute break, then spent the next 45 minutes making the case against. He was simply brilliant.

      Delete
  4. This a heavy way to begin Saturday. My head is hurting like the guy at the top of this blogpost. "Who stole my brain?" said The Scarecrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lay down to unburden his mind.

      Delete
  5. A friend of mine with cancer is having a medically-assisted death tomorrow. I'm glad this option is legally available to us in Canada. It avoids a lot of pain and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is clearly that person's decision.

      Delete
  6. Thought-provoking post today; i like it.

    I also believe in second chances, but third and fourth? Fool me once ...

    I believe people should be able to own guns, but when someone creates an arsenal it gives me pause; and I think they should be regulated like cars ... training, licensing, insurance.

    I am staunchly anti-death penalty; it is not a deterrent.

    My view on physician assisted suicide is to take each case as it is; question the patient through therapy and see the what and why of their chose to die. As long as the decision is rational, who should be able to tell me I can't choose death. And it is you're right about it NOT being hospice or palliative care.

    Good fences make good neighbors, they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statistics show that about half of the people who request physician aid in dying, die of other causes.

      Delete
  7. I looked at that picture and saw a planter. I think I would bore you out of your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of my mind, that is not a real challenge.

      Delete
  8. You express yourself well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and most people do

      Delete
  9. You've addressed quite a few complicated issues in this post. Lot's to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove from Phoenix to Tucson, and I was surprised by the number of huge pickup trucks being driven very aggressively. I commented on this to the conference organizer, she replied, "they all drive like they have a loaded gun under the seat, and most of them do, best to stay out of their way and let them go."

      Delete
  10. All heavy topics, indeed, and I do have strong opinions about all. I am always willing to discuss my thoughts and reasons, and also try to understand someone else' position if they're willing to have a sincere, calm, rational discussion (not debate) about pros and cons and reasoning, but few people can "respectfully disagree" so I tend to avoid such conversations.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was not aware you owned a gun; I learned something.

    ReplyDelete