Thursday, December 28, 2023

Thursday Ramble: The Year In Review : Goals 2023 and 2024 8


We seldom leave home on an adventure and not know where we are going. Yet many of us start the year, without knowing where we are going.  New Year's resolutions are doomed, because all too often they are unrealistic, yes I would like to lose 100 pounds, but realistically unless I get really sick, that is very unlikely to happen.  I can dream all I want about winning the lottery, but odds are I am more likely to be killed by a cow than I am to win the Powerball lottery.  

So I set goals.  Realistic goals, lists of things I believe I will accomplish in the next year, things that for the most part are well within my ability to do. And I check in to see how I am doing. And at the end of the year I look back over the year to see how I have done.  It is my road map for the adventure.  

I set the following goals for 2023, how did I do. 

Goals for 2023: 
  • Read 50 books, this is becoming a standard for me. 67 Passed this one by a surprising margin. 
  • 30 hotel nights. 40 nights. (I have a hotel log going back over 20 years.) 
  • At least 6 time zones, maybe 12. Mountain time to Iceland, 8 time zones. I didn't make it to Hawaii - something we were trying to work out a year ago. 
  • Walk 45 minutes at least 3 times a week. Far surpassed this one, 60 minutes 5 times a week. 
  • Blog Daily - it is a habit - an addiction. I haven't missed a day.
  • Tell my sweet bear I love him, at least twice a day. Mission accomplished. 
  • Meet at least two bloggers in person (I had this planned.) Three, Sharon, Spo, and Maddie.  
  • Clean my closet out.  Total failure.  Still on the list to do when I run out of excuses. 
  • Spend a couple of hours a week taking photographs. Yes, lots of great photos this year. 
  • Finalize retirement plans. January 5th, is just around the corner, and the pension checks have already started. 
So what are my goals for 2024? 
  • Read 50 books. 
  • Visit my local library.
  • Meet 3 or more bloggers in person. 
  • Hotel nights?  I am expecting 40-50 based on what is already planned. One really long trip - it adds up in a hurry. 
  • Blog Daily - yes - though there will be a pause on comments for a few days.
  • A week or more of digital disconnect - I have a trip planned that will be internet free for at least 7 days. We will see how that goes. 
  • 45 minutes or more of movement, 5 or more days per week. 
  • Check one or more items off of the bucket list. 
  • Go to two or more condo events monthly (when I am home.) 
  • Go out to lunch at least once a week. 
  • Experience one new art. 
2024 will be a year of changes, I have three trips booked, two more in the planning stages. It will be a terrifying year, of joy.  A year from now we will see how I have done. 

10 comments:

  1. A year from now I know we'll have confirmation of how happy you are -- and that your closet is clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not entirely sure about - - - - - - the closet. :)

      Delete
  2. You're not simply an achiever, you're an over-achiever! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also set goals that within my ability do accomplish. How I ended up with so many books? I don't have a clue.

      Delete
  3. I;m with you: the closet one would be hard. I have done the disconnect from devices a couple of times this year and really found it helpful and healthful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm betting you will have done very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will melt down and need to sedated. I have heard of that happening to people who for the first time in their life, couldn't get a phone signal.

      Delete
  5. It seems to be in your character to be organised with goals and routines, things to accomplish. In comparison I am more chaotic - just going with the flow - embracing chance. My principal goal for 2024 is to still be alive at midnight on December 31st of that year. I hope I make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your readers need you, you have to survive and keep posting.

      Delete