Saturday, December 02, 2023

Saturday Morning Post: The Bucket List 34

 


2023 saw me check a couple of things off of my unofficial bucket list.  I have resisted the idea of putting a list in writing, but there were things I really wanted to do.  And in 2023 I attended the Barrett Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, and finished off the goal of visiting all 50 states. 

As I have gotten older the list has become clearer, maybe it is time to put together a list of things I have not done, that I would like to do, before I kick-the-bucket? 

  • Ride a long distance train, in a sleeper cabin - bedroom.
  • Ride in a hot-air balloon 
  • Publish one more book (or more) 
  • Spend a month in a foreign country 
  • Go to Japan
  • Cross the Atlantic on a ship 
  • See Lake Superior and the Soo Locks 
  • Take a weeks driving trip, without knowing where I am going when I leave home
  • Spend an hour on a bench along the national mall, watching the people
  • Visit all of the stations on the Metro Rail system
  • Visit Liberty Island and see the statue up close 
  • Take the sweet bear for his first helicopter ride 
  • Take an art class
Well that is a good start.  When this list is done, I will make another. 

17 comments:

  1. I, too, have a sort of list made up in my head though putting it on paper seems like suggesting an end date.,
    Some of the things on your list I've done, though the train ride sounds so appealing that it may stay in my head for awhile ... unless, and until, I do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amtrak Silver Star runs from Camden north to DC, or south to Florida.

      Delete
    2. Now I'm thinking ....

      Delete
  2. I bet in retirement you'll check a whole bunch of those items off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on a couple of them in 2024.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of a roadtrip without a destination - just heading off and seeing where you get to. Perhaps some of your decisions could be made with the toss of a coin. Did you ever read "The Dice Man"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite on the list: Take a weeks driving trip, without knowing where I am going when I leave home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did something like this a long time ago, and will again.

      Delete
  5. Great list. There are one or two that I have done but most I have not. I love the idea of spending a month in another country. I'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rent an apartment and live with the locals.

      Delete
  6. That's a great list. I just was in Japan last summer. If you can, go. The culture is so incredibly different. A sleeper train would be great too. I love riding the rails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at trains earlier today

      Delete
  7. I'm telling you when Warbucks took me on the Orient Express from Paris to Vienna that was one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. And probably one trip I will never forget. And to think people used to travel like this all the time. I also want to go up in a hot air balloon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I booked a balloon ride the last time I was in Orlando, and the weather didn't cooperate

      Delete
  8. What a great start and as you cross the items off you might add others based on what you've seen and done. Lake Superior and the Soo Locks are on my list of places to see, too.

    ReplyDelete