Wednesday, December 06, 2023

My World of Wonders aka The Wednesday Ws December 6, 2023. -30


What surprised the crap out of me? My office team, organized a surprise retirement party, with about 30 people saying kind things, and food, and a nice gift.  I had no clue, I went for a meeting and there were two dozen people in the room, and. dozen more online.  

Where have I been this week? The office, the optician, our first Friday dinner with LGBTQ neighbors, first Saturday community coffee, Kennedy Center, the gym, and a long walk or two.  

Who have I seen this week?  The team in the office, neighbors Elaine, Ruth, Anna, Susan, and Rafael - a quiet week.  

What did I spend money on? I paid for the cruise, coming up in the spring.

When am I taking a break for the Holiday? Starting on Friday December 22nd.  

What have I been watching? The Pethericks are reassembling a church organ,  landscaping at the chateau ruin, and Chris is starting another epic journey in Japan.

What is in balance this week? I am still getting some work done, I have a couple of project to wrap up, I am sending Erica a steady stream of how to do things emails, and I am becoming more relaxed about taking a break. I have gone the gym first thing in the morning and fitted the day's work in after it, rather than trying to squeeze the gym into what is left at the end of day's work.  Take care of yourself first. 

What am I thankful for this week? My sweet bear, and all of you. 

What pissed me off this week? The injustice of poverty programs designed to perpetuate poverty rather than give people a chance at financial security. 

Who deserves a big THANK YOU this week? I have received over 100 emails congratulating me on my retirement plans, and saying kind things about the work I have done.  Thank you to every one of them. 

What made the room laugh? I made a comment that I was going to enjoy becoming a grumpy old man, and they responded with laughter an "BECOME!"

What is the bargain of the week? NCL Cruise Line is moving a ship from Southampton to Miami in January, they are offering balcony cabins for like $650 per person, with an open bar.  12 nights at sea, no port calls.  If your schedule is flexible and you always wondered what two weeks a sea would be like, this is a bargain. 

16 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a good week all the way around so far. Enjoy sailing through the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There shouldn't be anymore surprises.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very good week. That cruise is an amazing bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could fly home, and cruise back

      Delete
  3. How lovely to experience that secret farewell gathering and to receive all those kind farewell e-mails. It's nice to have been appreciated and to be able to look back with few regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only regret will be leaving behind the salary.

      Delete
  4. A surprise retirement party! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple of hints, but I missed them.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful week! We are thankful for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice you had the surprise party; and I like the "BECOME".
    It's nice to be appreciated and we don't tell people Thank you enough.
    And while I am not a cruise person the idea of "open bar" sounded quite appealing ... though falling overboard might be the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't climb up on the railing, or sit on the railing.

      Delete
  7. I'll pass on the cruise. That is one mode of travel that I have never taken to. Let me add my congratulations and best wishes to your retirement plans. I look forward to hearing about your adventures after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fun planned for next year.

      Delete
  8. The party must have made you feel very warm and fuzzy. Poverty programs perpetuating poverty sounds par for course around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all either liked me, or were good liars

      Delete