Wednesday, December 27, 2023

My World of Wonders, aka the Wednesday Ws last one for 2023 9


Where have I been?  The grocery store - a couple of times, the farmers market, the gym, out for a drive, home. Home a lot. 

Where have I not been?  The office, I will go in soon to clear things out. 

Who have I talked to?  My Sweet Bear, Spo, my Sister, Jay's brother Ed, 

What surprised me?  A text message from someone who worked for AARP years ago, reaching out to say Hi!  She retired and moved to Palm Springs a couple of years ago.  

What have I failed at? Cooking a "country ham" it ended up dry and salty, and generally not very good. Maybe I can rescue some of it in a soup. 

When will I get around to planning travel? Soon, I keep telling myself soon.  

What was my greatest revelation this week?  As I coast toward retirement, I am thinking about what I do next, all of the big and little projects that the future might hold.  And it hit me, palm to forehead, maybe what I really need to do, is take a couple of months off before I think about what's next. Oh, and I am going to need to find new ways of keeping track of what day it is.  

What did I fix for Christmas dinner?  Roast Beef Tenderloin, roast potatoes and parsnips, brussel sprouts, Yorkshires (that fell flat), and beef - onion - mushroom gravy.  

Who deserves a slap? The office is intruding into my time off. If they keep that up I am going to quit or something.  






17 comments:

  1. You already sound more relaxed! So excited for you. Yes, the hardest part for us STILL is remembering what day it is. As for the rest, you’ll find your way. Relax and enjoy the freedom to do whatever the hell you want whenever you want. Wouldn’t that be a riot if you threatened to quit?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intrusion into time off is something I will not miss.

      Delete
  2. "Who deserves a slap?" ...You do for baking flat Yorkshire puddings! A flat Yorkshire is like a flat tyre on a Lamborghini! As for knowing what day it is, there's a new-fangled invention that might help - it's called a calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were being sarcastic... 🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
    2. WickedHamster = Sherlock Holmes!

      Delete
    3. I didn't get the pan hot enough.

      Delete
  3. I am going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Puddings for the first time later this week. Wish me luck in getting my oil/fat hot enough first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they oil is hot enough they rise almost instantly.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Mitchell on you threatening to just quit. I think it's be hilarious.
    I am losing track of the days this week; I was off Monday, worked Tuesday, off Wednesday, work Thursday, and then off again Friday to Tuesday.
    I'm surprised I can remember the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My time sheet says I am off today, I spent an hour this morning working on a funding agreement and a job posting.

      Delete
  5. You're in the single digits for your countdown! If you cook a New Year's Day meal, try Hoppin' John. Eating ham (pork) and black-eyed peas is supposed to bring good luck for the new year. Add some greens (also for good luck) and voila...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of New Years good luck foods. I have bubbly and caviar.

      Delete
  6. My friends and I also had roast beef tenderloin. I used an old recipe full of herbs and spices and a lovely sauce to go over it. It was delicious. I hadn't made that recipe in many years. I need to bring it out more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should explore more herbs in my gravy, I have a book someplace.

      Delete
  7. I am honored I come before the relations.

    ReplyDelete