Monday, March 12, 2018

Unpacking


The 2017 taxes are done - I did five tax returns, my federal return, Jay's federal return, two state returns, and my middle brother's federal return.  Taxes returns don't scare me, modern software makes it easy.  Always a taxing job, I am glad it is done.  I paid my fair share this year.

I still need to deal with Dad's last tax return, his are a little more complex, and there was a trust involved.  I have talked with the accountant that prepared dad's taxes for the past decade and I will bundle those up and send them off soon, I think I finally have all of the paper work for his.  The trust was empty enough by December 31, that it will only need to file one return. 

Hubby is here visiting for the week.  We still know how to make each other laugh.  I am looking forward to being in the same house year around soon.  He is taking early retirement at the end of the year. 

My microwave died.  It was a cheap over the range style, that was poorly installed.  It was here when I moved into the condo.  I replaced it with a new counter top style and removed the old one revealing a segment of wallpaper from prior kitchen decor showing through.  Kitchen archeology.  And an in my face reminder that I need to have the kitchen updated.  The cash is on hand, I just need to get to it and get it done. I find that more taxing than taxes. 

I am home for three weeks, trying to get caught up and ahead in the office.  Then I am on the left coast for a week.  Only one out of town trip in April, then May, I will have time to do laundry between trips in May (barely.) How busy is May, I had to decline a conference in one of my favorite cities in California - or buy more clothes and a bigger suitcase.  June two trips, Toronto and San Francisco (again!)  My favorite airline is going to LOVE me, 11 adventures in the first 6 months of 2018. 

The BOD at SpoReflections says five things is best, so there you are.

Do you do your taxes yourself?


 


11 comments:

  1. nope; I have had a preparer do them since 1993. math is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a tax guy to crunch my numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of all kinds of jokes about guys crunching your numbers.

      Delete
    2. that ain't ALL they are crunching when it comes to maddie!

      Delete
  3. I'd rather pay someone to do them than try and figure it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing our taxes can be a especially taxing. So our accountant in the States still does them for us. I don’t know if we’ll ever get back to doing them ourselves. I’d much rather renovate your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do them myself and my sister's, too. I've done the for years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always done them myself w/out software and submitted them snail mail. done various kids taxes too. I guess I have the Accountant gene(both my brother and father were CPAs).
    Hubs insisted on taking over the chore last year as we had to file in two states(due to owning property in both), a federal, a state and local. 5 filings for one couple along with various schedules. He bought software twice(bought the wrong one first then had a buy one to handle our complicated returns)and overspent.
    Though we have it ironed out now he still insists on doing them using software and electronically filing as he thinks snail mailing a paper return is a red flag. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband has always done our taxes. I just sign where he points. I can always tell when he expects a refund or if we have to pay out. With the latter, he files a lot later than with the former.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete