Thursday, March 15, 2018

My First!


Like many firsts in my life, I have long ago lost track of what . happened to them or where they went, but I found the owners manual for my first camera.  I was about 10 and it was a Christmas gift from my parents.  It used 126 cartridge film.  I was able to process and print black&white film in the garage darkroom at home.  I remember saving up to buy film at K-Mart, being thrilled when I found it on sale for 79-cents a roll.  I moved up from this to a nicer Instamatic that was a hand-me-down.  From that to father's old Argus 35mm rangefinder, then when I was 15 buying my first 35-mm SLR.  

I have owned a lot of good cameras over the years.  Last summer I bought my first digital SLR and I really like it.  I also bought an underwater camera for the first time.  

What was your first camera like? 

6 comments:

  1. I have no idea what it was, but it could fit in my pocket. My mother had one like the one in your picture though, like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was also my first camera, with the flashcube. getting film developed at fotomat and getting a new cartridge at the same time. from this I went to a 110 cartridge kodak. now I have a small nikon coolpix 4600 (a free camera from a co-worker).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You youngsters ever see a Kodak Brownie box camera?

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first was a Vivitar 110. I loved that thing! I have always enjoyed the anticipation of getting my pictures back from where ever they were developed. The instant gratification of ithingies and such has never appealed to me. I miss film!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister and I both had Instamatics! I loved it and those flash cubes. But it wasn't my first camera. I had a hand-me-down Kodak Brownie camera; I think it was a Cresta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I remember it had a funny plastic wind up button to twist the film inside forward

    ReplyDelete