Sunday, June 04, 2017

Sunday Five - Bizarre Times


No two ways about it, this is a bizarre time to be in Washington DC.  It is very easy to get swept up into the weirdness.  The scandal of the day, is some days replaced by the scandal of the hour.  There is a political feeding frenzy going on.  It is easy to start to think we are all going to hell in a hand-basket.   

And yet I know there are a lot of things that still work.  Things that work really well. It is time to focus on what works. Let me focus on five questions about things that the Government does well.

1: What was the last National Park that you visited? 
2: What is your favorite expressway segment? 
3: What is your favorite bridge? 
4: What is your favorite public University? 
5: What government program made the biggest difference in your life? 

My Answers: 
1: What was the last National Park that you visited? 
      Being that the George Washington Parkway is less than a mile from my home, that would have to be it.  I cross over it on my weekday commute to the office.  

2: What is your favorite expressway segment? 
     An odd question, some expressways are simply wonderfully efficient - I-95 runs efficiently through the eastern states.  Some segments run through spectacular mountains - there is a section of I-75 in Tennessee that runs along the top of a ridge in the Appalachian mountains that is simply spectacular to drive.    

3: What is your favorite bridge? 
      This has to be the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  I have driven across and ridden bikes across it.  I hope to make it back there next spring.  

4: What is your favorite public University? 
     I spent three wonderful years at the University of Louisville, a great state funded school.  My favorite, probably the University of Florida - I was never a student there.  

5: What government program made the biggest difference in your life? 
    Federally insured and guaranteed student loans made it possible for me to go to Law School.  Without those loans, the cost of law school would have been beyond my grasp, beyond what my family could afford.  The education made a huge difference in my life. going to a state school, my costs were lower, but I still ended with a student loan balance that was larger than what I paid for my first home. It was money well spent, I repaid the loans with interest in a little over 7 years.  

5 comments:

  1. 1: What was the last National Park that you visited? Either was in Gettysburg, or some small hole out their west somewhere, lol!
     
    2: What is your favorite expressway segment? Not sure...probably i95, but it's no highways or byways in Philly, that's for damn sure.
     
    3: What is your favorite bridge? I too would have to say Golden Gate. It's a pleasure to drive across.

    4: What is your favorite public University?  University of Penn....it is simply a stunning campus.

    5: What government program made the biggest difference in your life? probably the Unemployed Compensation Benefits. Did once and will again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: valley forge, about 10 minutes from my home
    2: PA turnpike; for all its faults, it's a good design
    3: chesapeake bay bridge from annapolis to the eastern shore
    4: UoP, founded by ben franklin
    5: the affordable care act (obamacare)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Blue Ridge Parkway between Roanoke & Lynchburg VA as I was just on it two days ago with my mom on the way to FarmVille VA.
    2) I-5 corridor north from San Diego to Orange County, great coastal vistas.
    3) Coronado Bridge over San Diego bay.
    4) University of California San Diego, UCSD, my employer for many years.
    5) FHA, Fannie Mae, loan programs for it got me into my first ever home at the tender age of 21 right out of college with its low interest rate, low downpayment government insured loan. That loan started me into a successful life of real estate ownership and wealth building. I've also had a number of clients use those loans to get started on their own life of home ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1: What was the last National Park that you visited?
    Congaree National Park here in SC. It's the largest intact expanse of old growth bottomland hardwood forest remaining in the southeastern United States. It's kinda creepy, at times, but a wonderful place to hike through.

    2: What is your favorite expressway segment? Though not "really" an expressway, the part of Interstate 50 in California, where you finally reach the to[p and you have that birds eye view of Lake Tahoe; it's just stunning.

    3: What is your favorite bridge? The Golden Gate of course!

    4: What is your favorite public University? As a graduate I am partial to the San Francisco State University.

    5: What government program made the biggest difference in your life? Federal Student Loan programs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing.
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete