Friday, May 08, 2015

Capturing the Moment



Milwaukee, taking a picture of someone talking a picture of the Milwaukee Museum of Art.  I have always been the one who was out front taking pictures and walking.  I have slowed down a bit, someone might actually get out in front of me today.  Take a moment and think about composition, what is in the image, where it at in the image, how does it fill the space, can it be seen, what does the color, contract and light look like?  Is it focused?  Is the camera set in the best "mode" for the image you are capturing?

I have owned a lot of cameras over the years.  I bought my first 35mm SLR when I was a freshman in high school.  A couple of years later upgraded to the top of the line Cannon professional SLR.  Then I added lenses, secondary bodies, a 6x7 SLR.  At the peak I had four cameras and a dozen lenses. About a dozen years ago I bought my first digital camera.  We were headed out of town on a road trip and I packed the digital and the Nikon 35mm.  When we got home I downloaded the digital pictures and was blown away by how good they were and how easy it was (it was like a 6mp camera with a good lens.)  A year or so later I realized that I had not finished the roll of film in the Nikon.  I have owned two large digital cameras that view through the lens you take the picture with (I'd say SLR, but these are not interchangeable lens cameras.)  Three of four year ago I realized that I didn't always take a camera with me, because of the bulk and decided to try a compact digital.  Again I was blown away, a year later I bought a better compact camera with a lens that runs from wide angle to moderate telephoto.  I used that for a couple of years, and broke it,  I have only broken a couple of cameras in 40 years.  I replaced it with a Samsung, 16mp and a 21 x zoom from the 35mm equivalent of a 24 mm wide angle to a 740 mm telephoto.  I love it. It helps me capture the moment.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Your first, yes, Friday's are kind of quiet.

      Delete
  2. Yessir! Love it! I started in college with a Russian 35mm. Then bought a Canon FTb, and shot with it for years, with a 50mm f/1.8, and a 100-200mm f/4.5. Nothing else. The body got broken in a fall, so I bought an F1. I finally upgraded to a Canon EOS XTi digital, with an 18-55mm kit lens, and shot with it for a while, then added a 24-70 f/2.8L and a 70-300 f/3.5-5.6. Then I bought a SX160 so I didn't have to carry 4 pounds of camera and glass to England. Then a Canon 6D full-frame. I also have a 50mm f/1.4, and for the XTi a 10-20mm ultrawide, and an 8mm fisheye! One nice thing about the digitals is I can shoot and shoot and shoot until my fingers wear out, and I don't run out of film!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't comment because I have nothing interesting to say. My camera is an ancient El Cheapo Kodak Easy Share, but it still takes fairly decent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon,
    Guess what? If it takes pictures you like, it doesn't matter what camera took them! I see GREAT stuff from "El Cheapo" cameras. Most of photography is in the eye of the photographer. The hardware just helps the vision along.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete