Sunday, June 05, 2016

Unexpected Questions



Life sometimes surprises us, how about five questions about surprises?

1:  What was the most surprising thing your grandparents ever did?  My mother's mother was a very quiet, conservative women.  I was driving the grandmothers from Michigan to Florida one fall shortly after I finished high school. We stopped for gas in Tennessee and Grandmother Harp bought a bag full of firecrackers.  She loved them.  I locked them in the trunk so she wouldn't light them and throw them out of the car window as I was driving down I-75.

2: Have you ever turned the corner in a museum and come face to face with a surprise?  A couple of times, American Gothic in a museum in Chicago, we have all seen the posters, there was the original in the flesh.  And in the British Museum in London, I turned the corner and nearly walked in the Rosetta Stone.  I always assumed it would be in a museum in Egypt, but, there it was - in the stone so to speak.

3: Have you ever been totally surprised by a guest at the door of your home?  No, my life is pretty predictable and boring

4: Have you ever left on vacation not knowing where you were going?  Yes, I did this to my X one time. I had refused to tell her where we were going to keep her from obsessing about it for weeks - I had narrowed it down to two destination and I decided about 100 miles up the road to go to DC rather than Ashville. I had a great time, she - well she wanted to sit in the room and watch TV. I made a major life decision on that trip.

5:  Have you ever told the server in a restaurant to surprise you?  Yes.  I have told them what kinds of things I like and said bring me the best.  Trust and you will receive the good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/05/2016

    1. Met me at the school gate.
    2.Walked into Tate Britain and was transfixed by a Van Gough
    3.Our front door is our café. I am constantly surprised by the people who walk through it.
    4.I toured California. LA, Malibu, San Fran, Monterey, Mammot,Las Vegas and back to Palm Springs.
    5.NEVER!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: What was the most surprising thing your grandparents ever did? During a very hot day (before AC) my grandmother apologized that what she was going to do was risque, but she removed her top to walk around in merely a bra. My brother and I were scandalized.

    2: Have you ever turned the corner in a museum and come face to face with a surprise?
    Not too long ago I turned the corner to find the original dress from "Valley of the Dolls"

    3: Have you ever been totally surprised by a guest at the door of your home?
    Yes, a manic-depressive patient of mine served me a subpoena on my doorstep at 3AM.

    4: Have you ever left on vacation not knowing where you were going? Alas, no. I would love to try this.

    5: Have you ever told the server in a restaurant to surprise you? no. this sounds worth a try.

    ReplyDelete