Thursday, May 16, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Floating in air


 I was sitting on a bench on the National Mall and this guy broke into a full on sprint as he went past.  

It reminds me of two things.  

The absolute magic of running.  I ran for about a decade from my late 20s into my late 30s.  There is a moment of floating in the air, when running is magic.  I loved that feeling.  I miss it. 

It also reminds me of one of the first scientific theories confirmed by photographic evidence.  There had been a raging debate for centuries that at a full gallop, all four legs of a horse leave the ground. Many argued that it was impossible, that a horse (or man) would have to fly for that to happen, that at least one foot needed to be on the ground to support the weight of the horse, or when the horse landed it would shatter it's leg. A series of photographic images, at relatively high speed, confirmed that in fact all four feet of a horse are off the ground, just as both feet of this runner are off the ground in a full sprint.  

From April 28th, to about May 12th , I will be on a great adventure and on a digital detox, a couple of weeks without access to the internet. I have been told internet access may be available, but it will be very slow and expensive. So, I am going to try to take a couple of weeks off. I have not been without internet access in a couple of in couple of decades, I hope it goes well.  After that, until about May 30th, I will have intermittent internet access. 

I have scheduled posts to keep you all entertained.  These are not my usual posts, that is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.  As I have opportunity, I will post updates.  I look forward to reading your comments when I have the opportunity. 

Regular service will resume about the 1st of June, with tales from the adventure.    




13 comments:

  1. To see both his feet off the ground is a wonderful sight first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not think of such esoteric things when I saw your photo. Fit, powerful, stamina came to my mind.
    It's interesting about feet off the ground, not something I've ever thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran for a while; hated it. I find walking better on the knees and my brain as , for me, it's kind of meditative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have good excuses for giving up running.

      Delete
  4. Not an ounce of body fat on that runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember those days, then I look in the mirror and wonder how the fat man caught up with me.

      Delete
  5. I've seen the evidence, I'm a believer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And someone an old Monkey's song is on my brain.

      Delete
  6. I used to think that if I needed to run, I could run - like in an emergency or when chasing my kids and grandkids. Now I know I could not run much at all. But I do enjoy a good walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it, and doubt that I ever will again. And as they say, if you think you can't, you can't.

      Delete
  7. That is very cool!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete