Monday, May 06, 2024

Always be ready for the shot


My daily carry camera has an 18-200 mm lens, a nice wide angle to moderate telephoto.  For birds a longer lens would be nice, I have a 70-300mm.  This was taken at 200mm.  I saw these two floating on the pond, the coloring struck me as not your everyday duck in this part of the world.  I pushed the lens to 200- snapped one shot, and they took flight.  I grabbed several shots.  The composition is not bad,  I would complain that the birds are off center.  My mentor in the 70's would say, it shows that they are headed someplace.  Thanks Dave, after all of the year's I still remember that comment (he developed early onset dementia and died about 20 years ago.)  

With smartphones, many of us always have a camera at hand.  Be prepared.  While I much prefer my DSLR, I can open and use the camera app on my phone without unlocking my phone.  

From April 28th, to about May 12th , I will be on a great adventure and on a digital detox, a couple of weeks without access to the internet. I have been told internet access may be available, but it will be very slow and expensive. So, I am going to try to take a couple of weeks off. I have not been without internet access in a couple of in couple of decades, I hope it goes well.  After that, until about May 30th, I will have intermittent internet access. 


I have scheduled posts to keep you all entertained.  These are not my usual posts, that is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.  As I have opportunity, I will post updates.  I look forward to reading your comments when I have the opportunity. 


Regular service will resume about the 1st of June, with tales from the adventure.     

9 comments:

  1. Floating in that inflatable life raft in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, watch out for passing ducks as they can guide you to land - but you will have to row a lot harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made it to the first port today

      Delete
  2. Like your detox, I am trying to NOT be wired to a phone or camera all the time. Trying to take pictures constantly to a point can ruin a "moment" trying to get a picture. I have to remember to just enjoy the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the birds off-center because it does imply forward movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes miss my “real” camera, especially for zoom. But my iPhone 13 camera has been doing well for me. I rarely carry my other one. I’ve read but haven’t commented on every one of your posts. Hope you’re having a great time (I wonder how long you’ve lasted without “data.”)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting caught up on your posts from April 6th to today, so here are all my comments:

    I am thrilled you are painting again. Do share some of your artwork, please.
    I love traveling, but have a lot of anxiety around it.
    I regret how much I regret.
    You wrote “wet beaver” *smirk*
    I love the Carpenters but also get the sads for Karen’s early and tragic demise.
    HWSNBN is who he is. It’s the American people who truly disappoint me for continuing to support him.
    As we are starting to fly more, I appreciate any travel ships you share.
    I am strictly in the No Guns camp. Never touched one. Never want to. But I appreciate your efforts to be a careful and responsible gun owner.
    I would live in a cabin (not that small one you posted about) but I would hang out in the small one for a day.
    I really enjoyed your ten grateful things…we share many of the same ones.
    A love the Artomatic concept and would definitely participate and contribute if we did it locally.
    "to cut what? you don't have much left to cut!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA (and OUCH!)
    You typed “Space Coast” but I misread it as “Space Ghost” and got all excited!
    I always check a bag when flying (so far.). I do like a small carry-on with my laptop and chargers, though.
    I try to take care of myself at least a couple times week…oh, wait, that’s not what you meant….
    I always wanted to be a comic book artist and thought I would be. I’m a 27 year State Worker. You do the math.
    I can’t wait to take daily walks in my retirement. (I walk when I can.)
    Your neighborhood looks very scenic.
    Yay for finding Travel Penguin!
    I love you play with colors and tones in your paintings.
    I always check in for flights beforehand, prep for screening (nothing metal, nothing in my pockets) and YES to TSA pre-check. It’s worth it!!!!
    I make time to enjoy life without a phone in my face, and my phone is ALWAYS no silent. I love a quiet ride to work. Just me and my thoughts.
    My father banned us from using the phone when i was a teenager and put a lock on it. So I got a job and paid for my own in my room.
    I hope you have a fabulous cruise! I can’t wait to go on one someday!
    I love car rides up to 6 Hours. I LOVE trains. And I am still relatively new to flying, so still get excited with lift off.
    I always get caught up on blogs if I’m behind (like now) but can’t always comment on older posts or don’t top save time. I prefer to comment often and love comments on mine.
    I think you know full well how I feel about meeting blogger buddies :-)
    I’ve never taken an overnight flight, but usually fall asleep easily on trains, planes, and automobiles. Something about the motion lulls me to sleep.
    It’s good to take a digital break. I hope you enjoyed it.
    My worksite is not accessible to the public. We have to swipe ID badges to get in and out and from floor to floor. I won’t miss that when I retire.
    Now you’re telling us to always be prepared with our smart phone in our hands? Sheesh! Make up my mind, will you?
    Welcome back (since you will read this lengthy comment after your return.)

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/



    ReplyDelete