Thursday, May 09, 2024

Another Uncle Dick


I have written about my Uncle Dick, this is actually a Great Uncle, he was married to my grandmother's youngest sister Florence, or Flossy as she was known. 

Oh they were a colorful couple.  Flossy came of age in the roaring 20's. She was a fashionable and a bit of a wild child. In her late teens she had  a baby out of wedlock who was placed for adoption. 

I don't know much about how or when she met Dick, I am sure his name was Richard, but I only ever heard him referred to as Dick.  I would bet that they met in a bar. Floss liked to party, and so did Dick.  

At the local bar, they had glasses with their names engraved on them. If they didn't show up for a day or two, the bar would send a doctor by the house to check on them.  They were easily not only the life of the party, but the lifeblood of the bars in their area.  

How did they pay for it?  He was a senior manager for US Rubber, better known as Uniroyal.  Apparently he was as good at managing a rubber plant, as he was at downing booze. He was loved at work and very well paid.  Except when he was too hungover to go to work, or even worse showed up still partying from the night before.  

He was beloved, and a problem for his bosses.  He was hospitalized to "dry out." Four or five times,  detox was difficult - he had hallucinations - yes he saw pink elephants, and spiders crawling up the walls.  As he was being released one time, one of the doctors suggested that a change of surroundings might help him stay sober to Dick and his boss who was there to drive him home.  

A change of venue, his boss was inspired. US Rubber had just opened a new plant in Europe.  They would send Dick there, he was a master at making rubber plants grow.  A great idea.  So off Flossy and Dick went, to Scotland.  The first few months went well, then Dick discovered single malt whiskey.  Oh did he like that.  After a year or so, he was sent home and retired on a nice pension. 

I only ever met him late in life.  He was dependent, the medical science at the time was such that he was prescribed booze.  My parents being somewhat protective, limited my contact with Flossy and Dick. They both died younger than they should have.  


From April 28th, to about May 12th , I will be on a great adventure and on a digital detox, a couple of weeks without access to the internet. I have been told internet access may be available, but it will be very slow and expensive. So, I am going to try to take a couple of weeks off. I have not been without internet access in a couple of in couple of decades, I hope it goes well.  After that, until about May 30th, I will have intermittent internet access. 

I have scheduled posts to keep you all entertained.  These are not my usual posts, that is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.  As I have opportunity, I will post updates.  I look forward to reading your comments when I have the opportunity. 

Regular service will resume about the 1st of June, with tales from the adventure.    

10 comments:

  1. Hard lives, early ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alcoholism has historically been downplayed in our society and the true nature of this "socially acceptable" addiction misunderstood until things are past the point of no return. I had plenty of alcoholic aunties and uncles when I was growing up, so I'm well aware of what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tragic that they never got the help they needed

      Delete
  3. I suspect I would have loved Floosy and Dick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would drink you under the table

      Delete
  4. Alcoholism is a terrible thing. And it sounds like Uniroyal were, in essence and unintentionally, enablers. Of all the places to be sent to avoid drinking, Scotland would not be top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was at at time when managers went drinking together.

      Delete
  5. What a colorful, albeit unpleasant, family story.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there were some tall tales to be told. They had one daughter, who I never really had contact with.

      Delete