Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Go to the Iconic Places


I can vividly remember walking the trail along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and realizing how iconic it is.  I love visiting places like Times Square in New York, Trafalgar Square in London, the Forum in Rome, and the Mall in Washington DC.  People the world over recognize places.  People relate to having been there, or wanting to be there. Experiences that are iconic to the place. 

I didn't really understand New York City, why people loved it, until I went there for the first time.  It is unique.  It is crowded, dirty, expensive, and one of a kind.  NYC is not the United States, it is New York City.  I am glad I have been there, I look forward to going back.  

I also enjoy going places that few if anyone recognizes.  Out of the way, off the beaten path places.  

From April 28th, to about May 12th , I will be on a great adventure and on a digital detox, a couple of weeks without access to the internet. I have been told internet access may be available, but it will be very slow and expensive. So, I am going to try to take a couple of weeks off. I have not been without internet access in a couple of in couple of decades, I hope it goes well.  After that, until about May 30th, I will have intermittent internet access. 

I have scheduled posts to keep you all entertained.  These are not my usual posts, that is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.  As I have opportunity, I will post updates.  I look forward to reading your comments when I have the opportunity. 

Regular service will resume about the 1st of June, with tales from the adventure.    

18 comments:

  1. Do you like visiting Davy Jones's Locker after your luxury cruise ship has hit an iceberg? "Hey, I can see a freakin' octopus!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the iconic places I knew about lived up to their hype when I finally saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some were better than expected

      Delete
  3. NYC was that place that I'd long to see and when I finally did, it lived up to all my expectations and more.
    And the Grand Canyon and the Space Needle and Snoqualmie Falls and ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like New York City, but I can't stand Times Square. I go out of my way to avoid it. I find it nothing but consumerism advertisements, noisy. I don't get the allure of a bunch of lit boards. We can't go anywhere without being bombarded with ads or the pressure to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to kind other parts of NYC to stay in.

      Delete
  5. I like going to iconic spots too, especially if I've longed to see them in person all my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few left on my list

      Delete
  6. Times Square is loud, crowded, bright, in-your-face consumerism and that's the first place most people think of when they read about or visit NYC. I'll take walking through the various neighborhoods and their parks, finding the best bagel shop or outdoor patio for a glass of wine, walking across the bridges from Manhattan to Brooklyn or Queens and back. NYC has so many off the beaten path places and that's the part that I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to cross the Brooklyn Bridge. I have walked Robling's other masterpiece.

      Delete
  7. I was lucky to visit China when my son got married. We saw amazing sights in Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and Xian. I'll never forget it. Another amazing trip was to Rwanda - again for a family wedding, this time my youngest son. Such fabulous experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I will make it to Asia.

      Delete
  8. I love visiting the same iconic places and I love recognizing places I have been to when I see them in movies or TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, seeing media of places you know your way around.

      Delete
  9. NYC is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

    I have been to the Grand canon and it is an awesome sight!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would need a lot more money to live in NYC, they way I would want to live.

      Delete