Wednesday, May 15, 2024

The Wednesday Ws My World of Wonders Welcome to France Edition


Where am I?  Carcassonne France, a medieval walled city in the southeast of the country. We are here for a couple of nights, then slightly farther north. 

Where have I been?  We crossed the Atlantic on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas from Miami to Barcelona. We really enjoyed the stops in the Canary Islands, though we didn't see any canaries. Three days in Barcelona. 

What have I been eating?  We stayed in Barcelona for three nights after the cruise, lots of Tapas. Croquetas, ensalada rusa - with shrimp or tuna, jambone, queso. 

Who have a I seen? Lots of people, no one I know. 

What have I heard? At least a dozen languages, most of which I can identify or at least narrow down to a region.  Few that I know.  Very little English after leaving the ship.  I am surprised at how functional my very basic Spanish is.  

When will I do this again?  I am already looking at Atlantic crossings for next spring?  Want to join us? 

What happened to lunch with Mitchell?  He was not feeling up to the trip (it is easily an hour each way) and our time in port was limited making it difficult for us to get to him and back to the ship on time.  So sadly we missed one another.  Hopefully NYC late this year or early next year.

What was the greatest entertainment on the ship?  Watching the pier runners. These are people late returning to the ship on a port call.  They come running down the pier to the cheers and geers of the peanut gallery gathered along the rail on the ship.  The last couple, on the last port call, were about 1,500 feet from the ship and the police picked them up, lights flashing and tires squeezing he delivered them to the ship. The young police officer was hamming it up for the crowd, urging cheers and boos.  The ship left the dock less than 5 minutes after they boarded.  

How was the digital detox? Good.  I missed my blogs and comments.  98% of the over 200 emails backed up were junk, really a waste of space.  I replaced my morning blog session, with a morning soak on the hot tub on the top deck of the ship  I could get used to that. 

How was the crossing?  Absolutely wonderful.  The weather was just about perfect, the temperature stayed around 20C (70f), the seas were mild. A few windy days.  Just over 5,000 miles in 14 days.  

What have I been reading? I finished three books on the ship and got a good start into a fourth book.  3 out of the 4 were excellent. 

I will do a little posting over the rest of this trip.  Most of my photos from this trip are on the Nikon and not postable until I get home.  The image above is from the National Gallery in DC.  I am posting on Selfie Daily (there is a link in the sidebar.) 





18 comments:

  1. You sure do get around. How’s your French? I’m still disappointed that I couldn’t come into town to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see you again, soon, maybe NYC in the fall or January again? My French is very minimal and rusty.

      Delete
  2. Call me shallow, but I had to enlarge the photo of the man with so much meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sound wonderful if you ask me. I don't think cruises are for me. I think to get there and spend all my time in that once place. I can't wait to start seeing pictures of the canary islands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ship is really a giant hotel, restaurants and entertainment complex that moves. You can put on your speedo and lay out by the pool, or you can do something different each day.

      Delete
  4. I'm kinda with Andrew on this one; hot meat cutters always get my attention.

    That said, sounds like a fabulous time is being had and really wonderful trip. I think the detox possibly made it even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I am back, sort of, hotel WiFi for the most part.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a relaxing and leisurely way to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like such a wonderful trip. It's good to hear that you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always enjoy the adventure, bloom where you are planted. Tomorrow more trains and pick up a rental car. Saturday we check into a Gite for a week. There are a lot of moving parts on this agenda.

      Delete
  7. Wow...what a trip! The food in Spain sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then there is France, the duck I had for lunch on Tuesday was amazing.

      Delete
  8. Escargot! Have escargot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a great excuse to eat butter and garlic

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you had smooth sailing and are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The captain remarked that it was the best weather he has ever experienced on a crossing.

      Delete