Saturday, May 04, 2024

Light Years Away

If we could travel at the speed of light, would you venture to galaxies far-far away?  What would we find there?  Speculation is that in the vastness of space, there is probably at least one other planet that is compatible with life as we define it on earth. 

I always harumph when "scientists" speculate about a place being able to support life, and they don't qualify that with life as we define it on earth.  Our view of life, is very much viewed through an earth centric lens.  Through a human centric lens.  And the history of science tells us that those views can be very wrong, yet those who spouted those theories were convinced that they were absolutely correct at the time.  

I prefer science to be what we can observe, what we can confirm. Fiction has its place, the science fiction of today, may or may not be the science fact of tomorrow.  If the theory that the moon was made of cheese had proven true, we would have have returned humans to the moon much faster. 


From April 28th, to about May 12th , I will be on a great adventure and on a digital detox, a couple of weeks without access to the internet. I have been told internet access may be available, but it will be very slow and expensive. So, I am going to try to take a couple of weeks off. I have not been without internet access in a couple of in couple of decades, I hope it goes well.  After that, until about May 30th, I will have intermittent internet access. 


I have scheduled posts to keep you all entertained.  These are not my usual posts, that is either a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.  As I have opportunity, I will post updates.  I look forward to reading your comments when I have the opportunity. 


Regular service will resume about the 1st of June, with tales from the adventure.    


9 comments:

  1. You are being very optimistic about getting back to blogging David. When a cruise ship goes down, passengers are often trampled to death in the ensuing panic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope Penguin has seen Titanic and the original Poisden Adventure enough times to get some tip for survival!
      😂😂😂😂

      Delete
    2. Both of the films

      Delete
  2. I hope you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would prefer someone to travel the galaxy first to make sure the aliens are friendly, before I risk my life!
    Hope you're having a fabulous time!
    I kid, I KNOW you're having a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sometimes interesting to contemplate what life would be like on another planet. My guess is that it would not be what we think of as life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speed of light! That could be adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. theoretical astronomy and theories of the universe are mind blogging and often beyond my undestanding.

    ReplyDelete