Saturday, May 25, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Ten Travel Essentials


 GQ has a YouTube series where they interview celebrities and sports figures asking what there 10 essential are.  Let me take a stab at my 10 travel essentials. 

1: My Nikon D5500 with an 18-200mm lens.  This is my daily carry camera, and I almost never leave home without it.  

2: My Chromebook, the current one is an Acer, it is the third one I have owned. It is a 12 inch, weighs less then 3 pounds, and is easy to travel with. 

3: Airline travel credit card. I have more than one.  The air miles from them have paid for a lot of travel. Over the past 4 years, I have all but stopped using cash. 

4: Cash, I always have a modest amount of cash with me.  It is rare that cards won't work, old habits die hard I always have real money with me. I keep a enough Euros and GBP on hand to take a taxi to a hotel and have lunch when I arrive. 

5: Passport card.  If I am leaving the country I carry my passport, but I always have a passport card with me.  It works for border crossings in north America, and at the airport.  

6: The flying pharmacy.  I take just a couple of prescription medications, and I always have a few days supply with me, along with anti inflammatories, digestive aids, and antihistamines. There is also a hair brush, toothbrush and toothpaste in the kit.  

7: Mobile phone.  I am carrying a Samsung, 5G phone.  I seldom talk on the phone. It connects me to email, and I can post to my blogs from it, do web searches, and get directions.  

8: Electronic support bag.  I keep this packed and ready to go, it has chargers for my phone, Kindle, and Chromebook (and Apple lightening.) Also other cables, and a PowerPoint remote control, I like to pace when I am speaking.  

9: Asics Cumulus Gel shoes.  I have multiple pairs of these, and they are the shoes I wear 95% of the time that I have shoes on.  I have them in plain black for semi-formal occasions, and neon yellow when that is what I feel like.  I buy them when I find them on clearance, or when I see a color I love.  

10: Travel Penguin.  He seldom appears in public, but he is in my essential travel bag.  Oh, the adventures he has been on, the things he has seen.   


13 comments:

  1. How can you feel like neon yellow? Are you sometimes a banana or a lemon? You are certainly a well-organised traveller David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying, you ought to write a travel book with all your tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a list of travel essentials as I do not travel that much. I enjoy hearing about your adventures, tho, so thanks for taking me along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in Nimes, France, in a nice hotel near the historic district,

      Delete
  4. Travel Penguin should really write a tell all memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it could be sold as a cure for insomnia.

      Delete
  5. sounds a whole lot like my travel essentials.
    You might want to check the GBP. Every time I've gone to London after a few years, I always have to exchange the old cash for new cash at a bank. It seems the British change out their currency quite often. On this last trip, I took all the left over cash to the bank when I got home so that I don't have to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We exchanged some at a Post Office in 2020, the last trip

      Delete
  6. All very important things especially the penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about a gun... is "Have Gun will travel" a misnomer? MY LIFE IS A LIE!!!!

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete