Thursday, February 08, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Hotels



In 2005 I started keeping a journal of all of the hotels I have stayed in, over 650 nights in the past 18 years.  I know road warriors that spend spend 200-250 nights a year, I average about 25 nights a year. Over the years I have developed some ways to enhance a hotel stay. 

1: In the United States always tip the housekeeper.  If am spending multiple nights in the same room, I leave a cash tip in the room, the first time that housekeeping will be there, with a simple note, "Housekeeping, Thank You, David."  I often find that I get the fluffiest towels, and extras of whatever amenities the hotel provides. How much, a minimum of $5 per night in an average hotel, $10 per night in a luxury hotel,  $20 if I am there on a holiday (Christmas, New Years, Easter.)  

2: When I arrive in the room I check to see if the heat/air is working and if there is anything I need (towels.)  Housekeeping and mechanical services generally go home at 5:00 in the afternoon, if you are going to need their help, call before they go home. 

3: If there is a lack of space to leave a suitcase open, I unpack what I am going to need and store the bags in a corner or under the desk.  I generally live out of the suitcase if there is enough room to do so. 

4: If there is a clock with an alarm, make sure the alarm is turned off, or set to the time you need. I have lived without alarms for 15 years, only rarely if I have a very early flight or meeting will I set an alarm, then I use the alarm on my phone.  Once or twice a year I am awakened by an early alarm left by a previous guest (twice in 2023.) 

5: I check to make sure the chargers for my phone and travel computer, are actually charging.  About 10% of the time, the outlets or charging ports don't work. I carry 10-foot long charging cables, you can order them on Amazon, I keep them in my travel bags.   

6: Check out on time, and always assume the hotel will store your bags if needed. I have checked bags at hotels I was not staying in, a $5 tip to the bellman and saying "I will pick this up on my way to the airport in a couple of hours," has never failed to do the trick. Housekeeping needs to make the room ready for someone to check in, staying late can really squeeze the staff.  

Relax and enjoy the stay.   


 

14 comments:

  1. SG immediately tests the heat in the room. Often hotels control it centrally and it doesn’t go above a certain temperature, which really pisses him off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hotel in New York, was too warm, despite turning the temp down in the room, we had a window open.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The extra long charging cables are on of my favorite things

      Delete
  3. This is all very good advice. You are an experienced traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kindness to the housekeeping staff has its rewards. We have encountered so many charging ports that do not hold the square and have extra long cords for the outlets. Very frustrating. Thanks for sharing your advice. Here's to more happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have extra charging converters in every bag.

      Delete
  5. All great advice! I don't stay in hotels very much but will remember these if I do in the future. My daughter-in-law worked in housekeeping at a local hotel and she had horror stories of the awful messes some people left. I will have to ask her if people left tips for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mostly sound advice. We've never tipped in hotels or motels where we've stayed. Maybe we would have in New York but we were in a small apartment that wasn't serviced. It is rare here now since the beginning of the pandemic to have a room serviced daily. Maybe top end hotels still service daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recent three night stay in the Omni in Louisville, housekeeping was in once.

      Delete
  7. First time Hubby and I stayed in hotel. He said I was the first person he every see leaving a tip in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an excellent tip this is to tip the housekeeping on day one; I daresay this gets rewarded in better service. good for you.

    ReplyDelete