Monday, February 12, 2024

Moody Monday: A Nice Walk

The weather has been mild, lows around freezing, and warm afternoons. Good walking weather. I have been getting out for long walks outside.  I mostly walk alone, and in silence.  There are a couple of nature preserves nearby that are nice places to walk, and I enjoy an urban walk, one day it was Old Town Alexandria, one day it was Crystal City, the area around National Airport that is home to Amazon's new east coast headquarters.  

Something I like about the walks outside, is that I walk in peace. Just my thoughts, and the sounds around me, the sound of the street or the woods. It gives me time to think, time to experience the world around me, time for my mind to wander.  Time to be creative. Or time to just be.  For me this is my best effort at meditation, time not being stimulated by the outside world. Time alone with myself.  I find it relaxing and invigorating. 

If the weather is wet, or it is colder, I walk on the treadmill at the gym.  I find the treadmill hard to do without outside input.  The condo gym has good WiFi, so my Ipad becomes my companion. YouTube provides most of the background, with my favorite content producers, or music, or random short videos.  I have recently stumbled across a series about happiness, fulfillment and life that I find quite good.  I have tried podcasts, most of them are too long winded with too little to say.  Treadmill time is good, I enjoy the content, and I learn a few things along the way, but it is different than the long silent walks.  

My moods need both times.  It is nice to have an hour or so everyday to do one or the other of these.  Maybe I will try both in the same day. 

16 comments:

  1. I always think good, long peaceful walks by ourselves are very good therapy and good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the walk does us physical good.

      Delete
  2. “... mild, lows around freezing.” I can just hear SG howling! I love-need those long, quiet inside-my-head walks. When I'm on the paseo on a busier day, I like plugging into music and tuning them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be alone, in a crowd. Part of how my brain is wired.

      Delete
  3. I might check out some of those videos you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting series, well produced

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, my favorite activity. I like walking in a city setting and I like walking in nature's setting. Such a great way to relax and think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are great places to walk in Phoenix.

      Delete
  5. I like getting out for a walk also. It can be just in my neighborhood or at one of the nearby forest preserves. I always feel so glad afterward that I made myself get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool and raining here today, I just came back from the treadmill.

      Delete
  6. I love my outside walks with me, myself, and I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound a little melancholic today deArheart x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, a lifetime of worry takes time to move beyond.

      Delete
  8. Walking has lot of benfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we keep moving, the vultures won't start to circle.

      Delete