Monday, February 05, 2024

Moody Monday: One Month In

There must be a lot of fast pedestrians on this street, that is six minutes a mile, my average is closer to 23 minutes a mile. 

I was in Louisville, Kentucky for a conference and met a bunch of people that have known me for years.  Many asked how I was settling into retirement.  Today is one month since I turned in my office computer, handed my keys over to Travis, deleted my office email and started the newest chapter in my life.  

So how am I settling in?  I am sleeping well, often 9 hours a night.  Back in my go-go-change the world days, I managed on 6 or 7 hours a night, and often wished that I could just stay home for one entire day.  I am sleeping later, and sleeping well. 

I have occasional moments when I think what do I need to do now, and the answer is whatever I feel like. 

I have only had one or two brief moments of thinking "what have I done?" or questioning if I did this too soon.  

I am worrying a little less, still moving into "don't worry, be happy" mode.  I had lunch with my successor a week ago, and had to remind myself afterwards that the challenges are hers now, not mine.  I am glad to help, but it is not my responsibility any longer.  Her biggest challenge at the moment is too much work, not enough people.  She is trying to hire someone.  

I am sorting out self identity.  I had dinner with a friend and her husband, I had not met her husband before.  I said to him, "so tell me about yourself?" His answer was to describe his work and the business he owns. Our self identity is often tied to your work, and when that changes, we have to figure out how to define self.  I am moving in the direction of attorney-consultant. I don't really want to return to representing clients, but I would like to continue doing training and evaluation projects.  

I think I am about where I should be at this point. 



16 comments:

  1. This sounds like a first stage in the direction of actual retirement. I’ve had friends and family who have done that and it worked well for them. Although SG doesn’t miss working for a living, he does miss that connection with who was for all those years. I’m grateful I don’t have the same issue but I think the fact that my career wasn’t as strongly connected with my self-identity wasn’t for any healthy reason. It was simply that no matter how successful I was, in my mother’s eyes I was never successful ENOUGH, so I simply disconnected from that defining who I was and focused on more basic traits. In the end, that worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father never understood why I went into public interest work, rather than private practice. I made a lot less money - found a lot more fulfillment.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing fine David. Strangers sometimes ask me "What do you do?" expecting work details but I say, "I go for walks in the countryside, take photos and write poems". Why should work define us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sing to your grandchildren.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it's going well! I was never overly-identified with my work so that aspect of retirement was not a big issue with me. I quickly and happily switched to defining myself as "a lady of leisure."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had trouble adjusting to retirement. I felt bad about not being "productive" and just wasting my days. But I've begun to accept that I am "busy enough" .
    Today I will do laundry, take a walk, read, make dinner, watch TV - after I finish reading all of my favorite blogs and playing solitaire on the computer. Sounds busy enough! My days are calmer now. (knock on wood)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working my way through this, thinking a moment ago, what should I do today.

      Delete
  5. Those really are some fast pedestrians! ;-)
    Sounds like you are settling into retirement. Keep looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the sign was funny.

      Delete
  6. A good night's sleep makes all the difference. You're reinventing and it's fun to make new discoveries about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exploring myself along the way.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations. You're doing your (semi-) retirement right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I just had a flash of "what happened?"

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you are enjoying getting to know who you are and what you want. Good for you.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much here I have not seen.

      Delete