Wednesday, February 14, 2024

My World of Wonders, aka the Wednesday Ws Valentines Day 2024 edition

What made me go, Huhh? Nothing says I love you like a red baseball bat. No, I didn't buy one, I love my spouse, a lot.  

Who have I seen this week? Not much of anyone, my sweet bear, Susan, and passing strangers on my walks. 

Where have I been?  I took a long walk in Crystal City, the area nearest to National Airport, a walk in Dyke Marsh, a walk at Huntley Meadows, the Mall, the grocery store, Trader Joe's, and Target.  The gym, took my car in for it's annual safety inspection. 

Who did I reach out to this week? I sent four chatty emails;  electronic letters really and received three responses.  

Who deserves a slap this week? Congress, for a couple of reasons.  Underfunding the National Park Service to start with, part of the boardwalk at Dyke Marsh floated out of position in high water 6 weeks ago, and the Park Service has been unable to get people and machines in to put it back in-place. And for stopping immigration reform, that both sides agree is needed, and the only meaningful reform since Reagan was in office.  Five out of Five, only because 50 out of Five can't happen.  If I could take them over my knee, a couple of them would likely enjoy it too much.  

Who deserves a big Thank You this week?  The pension folks, I received the health insurance card this week, it includes a gym membership. I need to select a location and activate that as an alternative to the condo gym. 

What has happened? I helped a couple of academic friends with Medicare questions, I have started on a small consulting job that will take me to Cincinnati in early April, and will fund our attending a conference in Chicago in August.  I have been nominated for a seat on a board that will take me to a couple of national conferences a year for the next couple of years.  Next February is in Phoenix where I can have lunch with a couple bloggers.   

Where to next? New Haven, Connecticut. 

When? Thursday and Friday. 

Want to hear more about my past work? I was interviewed for a pod-cast. 

What surprised me? A guy I have known for about 25 years, from my senior legal aid days, is running for Congress from California.  He reached out to me wanting to know if there was anyway I could share the word. 






 

20 comments:

  1. I'll take a skim through the podcast later. I hope the guy in California is of the correct party. Ah, after following the link, he most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me look like a conservative.

      Delete
  2. Nothing says Valentine's Day like a red baseball bat. A New Haven Connecticut is such a beautiful quaint little town. I went one time with the lad and we met a Blog reader of mine who lives there he gave us a very nice tour of the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to Yale. I am there less than 24 hours.

      Delete
  3. Lots of fascinating things going on in your life. We lived in New Haven before moving out to Guilford. Visit our house at 30 Lincoln Street (as if you’ll have nothing better to do). I wonder if anyone would be happy with a mini red baseball bat for Valentine’s Day. (And how in hell is that the official baseball bat of Major League Baseball?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots going on in your life. Good for you.
    P.S. I'll help you with the slaps for congress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a busy man, David. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Sweet Bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and to you and yours.

      Delete
  6. Good to see that Mr Mandel is a true blue Democrat. Regarding the podcast, it was interesting to hear your voice for the first time. I admired your subject knowledge and passion for it. Shame you didn't mention your blog and your little penguin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David Mandel is a good liberal. I was surprised at the questions and some of my answers.

      Delete
  7. Cool that your health insurance comes with a gym membership.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww man. I'm in CT all the time but not this weekend. Bummer! Safe travels.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added a couple of extra days to this run

      Delete
  9. Never heard of mini bats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisville Slugger sells them / gives them away.

      Delete
  10. I would remind you that you once had a nerf bat (i.e. a foam rubber bat) to keep me in line...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't do that now. We have mellowed

      Delete