Friday, February 09, 2024

Foodie Friday: Little Cakes


We enjoy a good cake, but with just the two of us, and a desire to control sugar and fat intake, a full size cake is problematic.  We either eat to much, or it goes stale before we finish it.  Most often we gorge to finish it, waste not -want not, as our mothers taught us. 

One solution is small, or mini cakes.  I recently bought three 4-inch cake pans. I have been trying my hand at small cakes.  Trying to reduce down a full size recipe is a challenge.  Here is one that seems to work. 

125 grams flour (about 1 cup) 

200 grams of sugar (about 1 cup) 

1 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt


55 grams melted butter (about 2 ounces) 

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

120 grams buttermilk (about 1/2 cup)

dash of vanilla extract 


Mix dry ingredients 

Add in liquid ingredients 

Beat for a minute or two until well incorporated. 

Spray cake pans with cooking spray or butter liberally.

Put equal parts in the three 4-inch cake pans 

Bake 35-40 minutes in 350 degree oven. 

Cool for 10 minutes or so, then invert pans and thump the cakes out on a cooling rack. 

Cool completely. 

Using a serrated knife split each cake into two layers. 

Yield, two cakes, three inches in diameter, with three layers each. 

Frost, glaze or decorate as you wish. I did one with cream cheese buttercream, and one with a lemon glaze.   

22 comments:

  1. This really is a great idea. I’ll never get SG to do it, but it IS a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have more time to play in the kitchen, I will play.

      Delete
  2. "Thump the cakes out"! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bounce and they pop right out.

      Delete
  3. I know this may shock you but I enjoy Little Cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will show you mine, if you will show us yours.

      Delete
  4. That's a great solution! And I see you split the little cake -- two forks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half of one of these, is plenty.

      Delete
  5. At the risk of stating the obvious, CAKEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of your favorite food groups

      Delete
  6. I'm too lazy now to bother making a cake from scratch. Just bought a small lemon one the other day and it looks yummy. You did a lovely job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy time in the kitchen, and now I have time.

      Delete
  7. I took a bread baking class and a lot of the recipes I used gave measurements in grams. I enjoy using kitchen scales for measuring. Your mini cake is perfect for two people. After all these years, I'm still in the cooking for 6 people mode. Lots of leftover meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With blogs, I have become multilingual in cooking and baking, a nice digital scale makes this so easy.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you found a way to cut down a cake recipe. Trying to cut baking recipes and really screw things up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I'm still to new to baking to try paring the recipes down. But there are web sites for cooking for two. They have some dessert recipes. I'll have to look for cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever! Cooking for two is a challenge; I am forever making too much for two.

    ReplyDelete