Saturday, February 10, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Going Home Again


 I was in Louisville, Kentucky last week for three days for a conference, Louisville was kinda of home for me at one time.  I went to graduate school (law school) at the University of Louisville.  The first year I commuted from Lexington, 82 miles each way from our home in Lexington to the parking lot at the University. Second and third year I rented an efficiency apartment between the University and downtown Louisville.  The hotel I stayed in this trip was about a 20 minute walk from the apartment.  As I looked out that hotel room window I could see the University Campus, so I was looking past the apartment I rented. 

Was the apartment home?  I would come in Monday morning, and go back to Lexington when my classes were done for the week, either Thursday evening or mid-day on Friday.  My mail went to Lexington, Lexington was the address on my drivers license.  But the apartment was my law school home.  It was spartan, no phone, no television, no internet.  All I could do was eat, sleep, shower and study there.  And I would.  On Sunday I would prepare for Monday and Tuesday classes, and on Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday night I would prep for the rest of my classes and get some writing done. The apartment gave me my Saturdays back.  

In the apartment I had a desk with a VERY COMFORTABLE desk chair, a bed, a couple of lamps and a radio (I was a radio alarm clock user in those days.)  If I had an evening when my work was caught up, I would take a long walk, often a walk into downtown and back.  

So I spent a couple of days walking those same, but different streets.  As many cities have, Louisville has changed.  There are new hotels, and a couple of new office buildings. And lots of empty offices, and empty retail and restaurants.  The city was scarred by the Breonna Taylor murder by police. Police served a warrant, breaking down the door at the wrong house. The reaction from police and prosecutors was less than genuine and protests became riots. 

There are the shells of a few buildings burned in the protests.  COVID and changes in big tobacco have resulted in few people working downtown.  Restaurants were surprisingly empty at midday on a Friday. Many have not survived. The city will continue to evolve. 

Bourbon tourism has grown, with several tourist distilleries moving into downtown, one I visited wanted $50 for a tour and tasting, no waiting - I passed on that. There are a couple of new museums. And a new highway bridge across the Ohio River. 

It was nice to be there, it felt familiar, but different.  I had forgotten how friendly people are in that part of the country.  And fat, I didn't feel out of place being a little round in shape.    


21 comments:

  1. I had to Google 'efficiency apartment'.
    The murder was sad to read about and it is unfortunate it affected the city so much.
    I get your point about not feeling out of place. When we had lunch at a cafe today, another diner's hands were shaking worse than mine ,poor bugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the English might call it a "Bed-Sit." Really one large room, with a tiny kitchen, and a small bathroom. It had been the "front room" of a big two story house.

      Delete
    2. I think the English might call it a "Bed-Sit." Really one large room, with a tiny kitchen, and a small bathroom. It had been the "front room" of a big two story house.

      Delete
  2. Even if not heartwarming to return, I always find it interesting to go back to places I once lived. Your description of that apartment has me singing: “no phone! no lights! no motor car... not a single luxury...”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Oh little Buddy" it was very much like that. I had a nearly new Honda Accord parked out front, and a cell phone with 30 minutes a month of local calling.

      Delete
  3. I should mention that the desk was a very nice, simple red oak table. I wrote my PhD dissertation at it and David went to law school at it. It then became the dining room table in DC when I was still living in Lexington (with the official dining table). There was no room for it when I moved to DC and we reconsolidated. We sold it to a lovely older Spanish lady in the building here, so we know this historic piece went to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well noted, it served us well.

      Delete
  4. I liked seeing your view of Louisville from the hotel. I have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a nice stroll down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always interesting to visit places we've stayed for periods of time. My favorite place to visit like that is Chicago after I worked there for over 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been back to Orlando since 2019.

      Delete
  7. Home is where the mortgage is.

    You make a good point about places where we live (temporary accommodations while pursuing a particular goal) vs home where you have emotional connections and roots in the community. Some places are significant during specific periods of our development but were always transition spaces (e.g. college towns).

    I think that there is also a category that I call a spiritual home. That is a place where your soul feels at content even though you don't actually live there. For me this is in the coast range of California, but it is not site specific. I have had this feeling in Gaviota, Point Conception, Big Sur, Sonoma, and Mendocino. There is something about clean air with a strong marine influence and the play of light on the hills (bonus points for eucalyptus scent after a rain).

    Thoughtful topic.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time, I thought I knew where that feeling way, but today I am not sure. If I won the powerball coastal california would be a good place to go in search of it. We may make it out there this year for a wedding reception.

      Delete
  8. Obesity seems to be a disease catching up with most of us. Although I have been losing weight as I grow older. Although I'm also shrinking in height so perhaps the change doesn't show! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot about radio alarm clocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they still make them

      Delete
  10. $50? Oh the pain. Bourbon is becoming too expensive to buy alas alas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some good stuff out there.

      Delete