Monday, February 19, 2024

Moody Monday: An Assignment this week


Your assignment this week it to write a personal letter, to someone who is not expecting it.  It can be an old fashioned paper, sent through the mail, or email.  What will matter to you, and to the person receiving it is the content. Say something in the letter that is personal.  Ask about the other person's life, about what is happening, about the health of the person and their loved ones.  Talk about how you are doing, and what is happening in your life.  Make it personal.  

Back when dinosaurs roamed the plains,  and I was in school, we were taught to write letters.  There were templates, formulas like this:

Dear ___,

I hope this finds you well.  How is your ____ doing?  What are your plans for _____? 

I am doing _____.  I have been doing _____. We have plans for ____. 

We hope to _____. I wanted you to know ____. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Love or Sincerely or Yours Truly

____

I send a couple of letters a month, sometimes more. I cannot control if anyone will will respond. I love it when I receive a reply, but if I don't I can hope that I have touched that person's life for a moment. I have let the person know that someone knows and cares that they exist. The essential of human contact. 

Some respond often, some seldom, one person never responds (a family member.) Responding takes time, something many people believe they lack. Many are afraid that they have nothing to say or share, and we all do.  A response, even if it is to say that life is complicated, busy, stressful, fun, challenging, or painful.  It takes sharing.

If you are at a loss for who to write, there is a contact me box on the right on a computer (it does not show up on the mobile device feed.) If you use blogger and want to add a contact me box, it is one of the standard sidebar gadgets. 

20 comments:

  1. Sorry, sweetheart. I am assignment resistant. Just call me Mr. Phelps and preface the proposal with “should you choose to accept it.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will reach out to someone.

      Delete
  2. Done, and suffer babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr Trump,
    I hope this finds you well. How is your bank account doing? What are your plans for prison?
    I am doing nothing. I have been doing drugs. We have plans for the garden.
    We hope to see you brought to justice. I wanted you to know why you are allergic to truth.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Yours truly,
    John Doe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only he read anything.

      Delete
    2. Can he read? He was once spotted poring over a copy of "Playboy" but was probably just looking at the pictures.

      Delete
    3. He has remarked that he does not read books, other people do that and tell him what is important. It was reported that he took classified materials to the toilet to read them, and then flushing what he didn't like. The plumbers had to be called a few times.

      Delete
  4. I'll have you know some of us juvenile dinosaurs still roam the Earth and right hand written letters!! Now if I had your address I'd probably send you a handwritten letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letter writing is a lost art alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can we bring it back into fashion?

      Delete
  6. Nice challenge! One of my friends and I started doing this during Covid and it has spilled over to the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to connect with others.

      Delete
  7. I write occasional Thank you cards and send holiday cards. The rest is done through texts and e-mails. I like writing e-mails and composing longer letters that way. I won't likely send a mailed letter any time soon, but thanks.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I send mostly long emails. In 820 days you will have time to do more of this.

      Delete
  8. I might do this. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes yes yes. Old Lurker (or someone like him) informed me there was a good ida here on your blog and it is. I have lots of folks to write; I will do so.

    ReplyDelete