Friday, February 02, 2024

Foodie Friday: Sweets


I am late with this post, I clicked the wrong button. Sorry!

I love a great bakery, one that has a wide variety of pastries, cakes, pies and cookies available by the slice or single serving.  Many super market bakeries miss the mark.  Cakes are sometimes made in house, sometimes they come in frozen.  Pastries are often made offsite and baked on site, the same with pies, and cookies, and even bread.  

Bakery is labor intensive, it always has been.  Way back in the 1970's my family started spending winters in Florida, in the Miracle City Mall there was a nice bakery, run by a couple, who worked 12 -14 hours day, six days a week.  When one of them had a heart attack, they found it impossible to pay staff to do the work, and still make a profit.  

I have been experimenting at home on small cakes.  A full size cake is far too much for the two of us.  I have a set of 4-inch cake pans, I am pulling mini-cake recipes and giving them a try. I will post as the experiment continues. 


18 comments:

  1. Your mini-cakes sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made them twice, and will report on them soon.

      Delete
  2. Mini cakes are a great idea! SG’s cakes are usually 16 servings (or should be). I wonder if he’ll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a baker. I favor lemon treats like - lemon squares or lemon meringue pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lemon glaze on one recently

      Delete
  5. That's such a good idea. I can't wait to hear about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great web site for small batch cakes www.theenglishkitchen.co I have made lots of her recipes and they always work out well.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried making small cakes, aside from packet mix cupcakes. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! You nearly put me in cardiac arrest with that photo. But then I just wanted to go find a bakery. Sweet (pun intended) picture and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I printed your bun recipe - I need to try that soon.

      Delete
  9. I don't know of any bakeries around here (worse luck!) My favorite cakes are petit fours which I think only come from bakeries meaning I haven't had any in ages

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it weren't for more gluten intolerance, I would have died by pastry consumption already.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete