Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Travel Tuesday: Orlando March 2019 Helicopter Charter

When I moved to Orlando in 1985, Disney had only been open for a little over a decade.  The area that is International Drive was a massive defense plant and testing range.  I watched the area change, moved away and when I go back I really notice the change.  I was in Orlando in March of 2019, BC, to speak at two conferences.  There were signs for helicopter sightseeing tours.  I stopped, the price is always high, but the experience is amazing.  I was the only passenger, the pilot asked where to? We went south along I-4 to Lake Buena Vista, EPCOT, and Disney Studios.  When you have a chance, splurge and spend the $200 for an amazing ride. 








The Tower in the foreground, was built while I was working in Orlando, the foundation is one massive continuous concrete pour, every concrete plant in the area shipped only to that building site for three days, around the clock, non-stop.  



The pink building on the Right, is the Tower of Terror.  There is or was an elevator drop on the outside of the building that drops faster than gravity, faster than you would fall of you jumped.  It is pulled down by cables.  A gym friend of mine was on the engineering team that figured out how to do that. 










 

17 comments:

  1. I've only taken one helicopter ride, over Niagara Falls. I didn't want to because of the cost but my partner insisted and I am so glad we did. You saw an awful lot in your 'private' helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing ride. And to have it all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some pretty amazing pictures you got. On my travels one day in some City, I would love to do a helicopter tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the aerial shots. And the Tower of Terror!! Love that ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on it in years

      Delete
  5. Great pictures! Nothing like a bird's eye view to get a new perspective. I got to sit in an Army Apache helicopter. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ride in an Apache would be fun

      Delete
  6. Wow, you certainly get a view like no other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I won the lottery, I would love to tour much of North America this way.

      Delete
  7. What great photos! Sometime back in the 80's, my parents took a helicopter ride over Walt Disney World. I was with them but because we had our dogs in the kennel there, I decided stay on the ground just in case. They both loved the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sound and looks amazing. I took a helicopter ride when I was about 12.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete