Monday, April 17, 2023

Moody Monday: Two Roads


 Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --- 

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference. 

Robert Frost

I didn't start out to be different, to take the road less traveled, to color outside the lines, to march to the beat of a distant drummer.  But I largely have.  

At times I have tried really hard to fit myself into the normal boxes of life.  In many ways life would be easier, if I were more "normal" whatever "normal" would be.  But I am - who I am. 

In high school everyone thought I would become a professional photographer.  And I eked out a living for a year or so, with my perfection driving me nuts that people were actually paying for my imperfect work. Returning to photography as a hobby, I am still obsessed with it, and if I produce something you want, just let me know you are stealing using it. I am delighted to see it used, but don't really want to be paid.  

I passed the test for a real estate broker, flailed around for a couple of years in traditional brokerage offices, then went on to selling homes for builders.  A narrow limited, not very traditional role for someone with license I had.  Kind of at the peak of that work, I called the boss one day and said, I need some serious time off, like three or four months.  I walked away from a high pressure, high profit job.  With no regrets, the job was killing me. 

I went to law school at mid-life.  I turned 40 the week I started my last year of law school.  I really expected that becoming a lawyer would land me back in the building industry, I know what my former employers get away with, I could make a living suing them.  Then I went off into public interest, non-profit work.  My father never really understood why.  I did it because I found work that fed my soul.  I made a difference in the lives of people who needed someone to make a difference.  I have spent the past 14 years, helping lawyers understand complex issues, making them better lawyers, so they can make a difference in the lives of their clients.  

And rather than work until they find me decomposing at my desk, I am going to retire.  Two people have tried to talk me out of retiring in the past week.  Most people doing what I do, work a few more years. Many of them die with their boots on. I will likely go barefoot into the great beyond.   

The photo above is not a yellow wood, but it is the tracks of the Yellow Metro Rail line, at the station near my home.   

19 comments:

  1. I never tried to fit in. For what? I am normal and me and my lifestyle is all I ever known...so it is normal. I once had terrible dreams of fitting in and being "normal". Im happier with who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People tried to talk us out of retiring, too. And moving whenever we moved. I live for change and admire all your exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good life

      Delete
    2. Thanks for always reminding me, David.

      Delete
    3. The biggest challenges are in our heads. You are in a wonderful place, with someone who loves you, and the cats who have not tried to kill you, yet.

      Delete
  3. Pity, I rather like the idea of you with inside knowledge suing builders on behalf of victims. I initially missed the social aspect of work but that quickly passed. You won't look back once the day comes but you feel a little queer initially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find replacements for seeing people

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of not being one thing, not working at one thing; I have done several different things in my life, from being a bartender in Haight Ashbury while going to college, to working in an art gallery in San Francisco, teaching English to middle schoolers in Sacramento, being part owner of a small restaurant in Hawaii, to working for a local arts complex, among others.
    I like the idea of change, in most things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is time for my next chapter, for a new road.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it takes awhile to find our niche in life. And knowing when to transition from one stage of life to another is a reflection of self-knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad I was able to change directions in mid-life

      Delete
  6. Going barefoot brings so much happiness! Keep navigating YOUR road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The road less traveled is always the right road to me. I think you are navigating it very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few bumps in the road, but those add to the adventure

      Delete
  8. In first grade I want to be astronaut and that was in 1966. I did take photography in high school.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived across the River from the Kennedy Space Center in High School,

      Delete
  9. While I will never be accused of living an adventurous life, I never expected to be where I am and I can assure you, there are aspects of my life far outside "the norm," some of which I share, some I only allude to. Aside from my job, I've never been happier or more comfortable with who I am. The ONLY person you have to please is yourself.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete