Monday, April 03, 2023

Moody Monday: Been Here Before



One advantage of being nearly as old as dirt, is I remember when it was like this before and that somehow we made it through.  I remember the deep political divisions of the late 1960's early 1970's the scandals that forced Richard Nixon out of office.  The riots of the late 1960's over school desegregation and the deep divides in communities and people moved - in essence re-segregating many urban areas. I remember George Wallace running for President, all but promising the bring back the Confederacy and slavery.   (His plane was early, or I would have photographed his arrival on a campaign stop.) 

I have watched politics move back to the middle, and back to the extremes.  There have always been wackos in Congress.  McCarthyism was the scourge of my parents era, and they never quite forgot it.  We will get past this, we will find the common ground in the middle, we always have, I trust we always will.  

We have amazing younger generations that have found value in diversity, and joys in living, loving and enjoying everyone around them.  Urban areas have blossomed as wonderful place to live.  The suburban dream that perpetuated being surrounded by people like yourself, ties people to their cars - isolated and alone for hours.  People are rediscovering the joys of walkable communities and public transit. All it took was overcoming the fear of other. And overcoming the fear of difference started with saying one-school for every child in the community.  I should have turned the camera to take a photo of the building across the street, the Supreme Court, who bravely ruled that separate but equal, is never equal.   

So how is my mood this Monday?  Bothered by the current turmoil, but assured we will get past this.  The only reason Nixon was not prosecuted, is he was pardoned by Ford knowing it would end his political career, but saying the nation needs to close this ugly chapter and move on.  And we did.  And we will again. The ugliness of today, will be undone by the youth of today.  

 

19 comments:

  1. I do believe we can overcome the diversity...like you said...the needle always moves back to the middle. It's the gun control, the poor and homeless growing bigger, the minimum wage being held down, sky rocketing cost of everything, lousy healthcare and not affordable to all, and healthcare cost that are at an extravagant high. Voting rights in jeopardy. The politicians need to wake up. They are sleeping apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the goddess there's always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think as more enlightened younger people get around, attitudes in the country will eventually follow but with vast distances and for some, no go states, it may take some time. I've seen this in our country with same sex, domestic violence and men's health. Not perfect, but much better. Generally city attitudes and behaviour flow outwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few places I don't want to go to.

      Delete
  4. I agree that it may be ugly for a while, but will change. I just hope I'm around to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A realistic but optimistic post. Hope is a powerful force and it makes things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things can't swing back to the middle fast enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you been prescribed "OPTO" the new wonder drug in the fight against depression and pessimism? However, I do think you are right to suggest that politics can be cyclical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recall Nixon. I was still in grade school.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember where I was when he announced he was stepping down as President, the family room of one of my father's flying buddies.

      Delete
  10. let us hope so. US History shows there were lots of times of turmoil may this one pass in time - and soon.

    ReplyDelete