Thursday, April 20, 2023

Thursday Ramble: A Different Perspective


A few times a year we go to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to watch and hear the National Symphony Orchestra.  This photo was taken as they were getting set up, the stage and audience were packed a few minutes later.  

We have developed a habit of booking "Our Seats" with that being top and center on this image, front row, close to the stage.  The view is amazing, the sound is good, we are comfortable there.  

For last Saturday night we booked different seats, a box on the side overlooking the stage. We were in the mirror of the box above the piano and harps in this image, front row, the two seats closest to the entrance stairs.  I don't recall the reason we booked different seats, it might be that we needed to reschedule and the seats we normally buy were sold, or maybe it was just the program and wanting to be closer.  But we decided to try something different.  A different perspective.  

Settling in, I was amazed at the view, the closeness to the musicians. With my cheap pocket binoculars I could read the music on the stands in front of me - 4/4 time. Then the heavy brass started tuning up, I looked over the rail to see that there was a tuba just below my right knee.  I always knew there was one, but this was different, I could look right down the bell, I could here the flutter of his lips.  The tuba player is a graying daddy bear with a buzz cut and beard, who looks like he operates a bulldozer when he is not playing with world class orchestras. 

When the pre-show announcements started, we strained to hear, we were behind and below the speakers directing that sound to the audience. Normally we are feet away from them and in front of them.  The different perspective sounded different. 

Then the orchestra started to play.  Smiling from ear to ear, I had to wipe my eyes at what my ears were hearing.  The difference in sound was amazing, it took me back to being in the center of the band in middle school (I played the tuba for a couple of years).  I could feel the sound in a way that you don't from out front and above. A slightly different perspective, and entirely different experience.  

The stage box seats were more expensive than the seats we normally buy.  Will we do it again? Probably.  Would I do it all of the time? I don't know, I think moving around and seeing and hearing from differing perspectives might help me to understand more about the experience.  

A live performance, should be as much about the experience, as the music.  I can sit here at my desk and hear all of the music I want, the recording catalogs of the world are at our fingertips, all from the same perspective.  Seeing a live perspective, I see the space, the concert hall or other venue.  I see the individual musicians, we have our favorites (Oboe Man was back last weekend.) I can hear, see, feel, and yes even smell the music.  Instruments have a smell after they have been played for a while, a smell I had not experience in decades. For brass instruments is a combination of oil and moisture, mixed by the flutter of the lips of the musicians. String instruments are wood, and varnish and age. Saturday night we were close enough to smell the music.  A perspective you seldom experience, and one no recording can reproduce.  

And such is life.  Move around and experience the familiar from different perspectives to expand your understanding. 


Well this is a big improvement.  I had a boring, kinda negative post created, one that I was unhappy with, but I must put out.  The night out, inspired me, hopefully for something better.   

  

18 comments:

  1. It's amazing when you're that moved by music. What an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is not always beer and skittles. It reassures other people when you seem less than confident. I don't mind negative posts at all.
    Your experience of being in the boxes tells me why royals and VIPs choose such seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other pose will get recycled and edited. And yes it was the VIP boxes, if VIPs ever attended.

      Delete
  3. I've been to an opera twice and I can appreciate it.. by far I enjoy and like to see a symphony , as I like classical music and Jazz. Now on my recent trip to Budapest it was yet another thing that amazed me between the US and in Europe, at least in Budapest anyway, was the affordability of tickets to see shows theater ballet symphonies. The prices of these things in the US far outweigh what it was there. I thought they were to be commended for this as many more of the population could go and enjoy the culture. I feel sorry for many here. As they will never know these experiences because of the price. I'm not sure what is going on with the US, but the more I'm out of the country , it sure opens my eyes to a lot of stuff, and just how expensive everything's getting. It makes me worried who's going to be able to afford anything soon. It sounds like you had a good time and soaked in the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seats were around $100 each, really very high.

      Delete
  4. I like this view. I've wondered how it would be in those seats. Our symphony seats are in the orchestra about midway. They are great seats but I do like to experience the music from different locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, and a little different

      Delete
  5. My fave seats are the elevated terraces on the side -- in the middle or closer to the stage. I prefer the first row terrace because there's more leg room, but of course the sight lines and audio are terrific. A few years ago, we attended informal Sunday afternoon baroque concerts where you could sit on bleachers on the stage right behind the orchestra. So we did that! Strange to look at the orchestra from behind but the sound was unparalleled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I bought terrace seat tickets, they were running about $120 each. Of course, that's in Canadian money. In US dollars, it would be similar to what you paid.

      Delete
    2. I always shocked at the prices, Sweetie Bear just books it and doesn't tell me what it cost

      Delete
  6. We learn from new perspectives and expand our comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at a religious service. We were ask to change seat. What I thought was interesting hardly anyone in front or rear seat change.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often sit in the front at conferences, no one does

      Delete
  8. Good for you! we do better when we see things from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great advice for everything in life...change your perspective...you'll be amazed how your experience changes.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Airlines Phone Numbers +1(888) 660-0563 some travel booking websites may have hidden fees or different terms and conditions that could affect the overall cost and experience of your travel. These may include cancellation or change fees, limited refund policies, or restrictions on upgrades or rewards points.

    ReplyDelete