Thursday, July 01, 2021

Thursday - Back to The Office



 




My office reopened a couple of weeks ago.  Officially we have been open for about a year, but the process to get permission to get in was painfully complicated, I went in a couple of times, visits limited to a couple of hours by official policy.  I can now go in whenever I want, and spend as much time as I wish.  I am going in a couple of times a week.  While working at home was productive, I was growing tired of sleeping in my office, and working in my bedroom. It was time for me to on pants (trousers) and go back to the real office. 

These pictures were taken on my first day going back.  I have to admit, I had trouble sleeping the night before, kinda like the first day of school.  My commute is by subway, platforms at that time of the morning 16 months ago were packed, today the platforms are relatively empty.  Metro has completed some work while we were at home, replacing escalators at my home station, gates on the station under my office.  My office was still there.  The cleaning staff must have grown bored, everything had been moved and my desk dusted, I don't think that had ever been done before.  Some of the local shops have closed, the deli on the lower lobby has not reopened.  Not many people are back in the office, maybe 10 or 20 people out of 250 in our DC office.  Rumor has it that we will all be asked to come back at least a day or two a week in early September.  I look forward to seeing colleagues in person again.  

I am not much for "once in a lifetime" experiences.  When people say that was a once in a lifetime trip, I think, it must have been really terrible if you only want to do it once.  I really hope that the past 18 months, was a once in a lifetime experience.  It will be a part of our memories, a part of our lives, hopefully a once in a lifetime experience.  But if we ever face a threat like this again, we will know how to survive, we will know that we can survive, maybe even prosper. 


20 comments:

  1. With my new job and my free lancing, I have been enjoying the new hours and the freedoms it's been giving me...so much so, I think it would now be hard to go back to a corporate retail or structured environment again...which I never thought I do well out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think corporate is changed, I was on a call yesterday, my organization is looking at less office space, and restructuring (in time, our space leases are long term.) Our flexible remote work policy is permanent.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/01/2021

    I am not so sure that we will know how to respond. We quickly forget lessons of the past. During the Spanish flu people learnt to mask up, as have Asian people for years when they think they may be infection and during the swine flu time. We comfortable white people were not told until late in the piece to mask up.

    Anyway, I suppose your experience felt a little surreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on a call with a chief executive who said, masks are a part of his life, for the first time in his life he did catch a cold or the flu last year. I agree, by and large the masses will forget within a year. The death toll this time, is a fraction of 1918*1919.

      Delete
  3. Like you, I hope this pandemic is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Metro looks so pleasant. I used to enjoy working from home, but agree about working from your bedroom and sleeping your office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my office email at 9:15 last night, I shouldn't do that, but it is so easy when it is open here in the room, it was even chiming with new messages arriving

      Delete
  4. I'm just hoping this is getting over ....
    It's been a long strange year and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking my office computer home every night, be prepared for unexpected changes of direction

      Delete
  5. Love the escalator photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat lighting on that one. I took those with the old Samsung pocket camera.

      Delete
  6. Our office has called most people back to the office but my group (IT) is still working from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Officially we are back in September, with a very flexible policy

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad I was retired during this pandemic. I absolutely HATE working from home. I'm one of those people who NEED to be in the office if I'm to be at all productive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pandemic sure changed the world. I loved the pics of the metro. I live in Richmond and whenever I go up to DC I use the metro to get around. I love the architecture in some of the stations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some neat new stations out on the Silver line, a new one at Potomac Yard under construction

      Delete
  9. I felt the same way returning to the office after not being there since April 2020.
    By now it feels like I had never left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my week off, I am going to three days a week in the office

      Delete