I asked a friend who has crossed 70 & is heading towards 80 what
sort of changes he is feeling in himself? He sent me the following:
1. After loving my parents, my siblings, my spouse, my children
and my friends, I have now started loving myself.
2. I have realized that I am not “Atlas”. The world does not rest
on my shoulders.
3. I have stopped bargaining with vegetable & fruit vendors. A few
pennies more is not going to break me, but it might help the
fellow save for his daughter’s school fees.
4. I leave my waitress a big tip. The extra money might bring a
smile to her face. She is toiling much harder for a living than I am.
5. I stopped telling the older person that they've already told me
that story many times. The story makes them walk down
memory lane & relive their past.
6. I have learned not to correct people even when I know they are
wrong. The onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace
is more precious than perfection.
7. I give compliments freely & generously. Compliments are a
mood enhancer not only for the recipient, but also for me. And a
small tip for the recipient of a compliment, never, NEVER turn it
down, just say "Thank You.”
8. I have learned not to bother about a crease or a spot on my
shirt. Personality speaks louder than appearances.
9. I walk away from people who don't value me. They might not
know my worth, but I do.
10. I remain cool when someone plays dirty to outrun me in the
rat race. I am not a rat & I am not in a race.
11. I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. It’s my
emotions that make me human.
12. I have learned that it's better to drop the ego than to break
a relationship. My ego will keep me aloof, whereas with relationships,
I will never be alone.
13. I have learned to live each day as if it's the last. After all, it might
be the last.
14. I am doing what makes me happy. I am responsible for my
happiness, and I owe it to myself. Happiness is a choice.
You can be happy at any time, just choose to be!